Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm using Slackware 10.1 on my Dell Otiplex GX150, and I'm using the Fluxbox window manager. Gaim will not connect to the aim and Yahoo protocols, for some strange ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

gaim won't connect

Hi,

I'm using Slackware 10.1 on my Dell Otiplex GX150, and I'm using the Fluxbox window manager. Gaim will not connect to the aim and Yahoo protocols, for some strange reason. Though, if I first connect to those protocols with Kopete, or first ping those servers, gaim will connect with no problem. So far, what I'm doing is using a script that will ping all the servers I use, then open gaim, but I'd like a better solution.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

mr.popper

Linux Engineer
    What version of GAIM? Are you running any firewalls or routers?
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

Just Joined!
    gaim 1.2.0, running a router, and I don't know about firewalls. I think it's strange that Kopete will connect but gaim won't, but gaim will connect after kopete connects. Gaim will not connect, even after multiple tries, until Kopete connects, or the servers are pinged.

Just Joined!
    Have you tried nuking your gaim profile dir and reinstalling gaim yet? It is a bit drastic but I believe that it might help solve your problem (as well as making sure that you have the most current version).

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by metiscus
    Have you tried nuking your gaim profile dir and reinstalling gaim yet? It is a bit drastic but I believe that it might help solve your problem (as well as making sure that you have the most current version).

Hi, can you let me know where I can download the Gaim installation files? I downloaded one but all are souce files. no idea how to install the Gaim. Also don't know how to configurate the Gaim.

Any help is appreciated and thanks.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anaconda
    Quote Originally Posted by metiscus

Hi, can you let me know where I can download the Gaim installation files? I downloaded one but all are souce files. no idea how to install the Gaim. Also don't know how to configurate the Gaim.

Any help is appreciated and thanks.
    I don't mean to be mean, but are you being serious?
    I will assume that you are so here is the instructions.
    Download the source code i.e. gaim-1.2.3.tar.gz
    open a console window and do the following
    tar zxf gaim-1.2.3.tar.gz
    cd gaim-1.2.3
    ./configure
    make
    su
    make install
    exit
    enjoy your gaim

Just Joined!
    you really should learn how to install by source because you'll be doing a lot of that but if you want to you can get 1.2.0 or 1.2.1 i think as a slack package (.tgz)