Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I am very very new to Linux. I have downloaded Slackware 9.0 and copied the slackware-9.0-install.iso.asc, slackware-9.0-install.iso.md5 & slackware-9.0-install.iso to a CD. I have a 10G HDD & I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

installation help

Hi I am very very new to Linux. I have downloaded Slackware 9.0 and copied the slackware-9.0-install.iso.asc, slackware-9.0-install.iso.md5 & slackware-9.0-install.iso to a CD.
    I have a 10G HDD & I want to format it totally for Linux. I made boot disks with RAWNT.EXE and Install 1 & Install 2. I used cfdisk to create 2 primary partitions first 8GB & other 2 GB. I made both of them bootable. Then I wrote the partition table to the partitions. Then I typed setup and then selected to search for the CD ROM, but it fails.
    Could someone let me know where am I going wrong and what should I do. I checked that the CD ROM boot sequence is first in the BIOS options.
    Thanks

Linux Engineer

Re: installation help

Quote Originally Posted by donkarnash
    Hi I am very very new to Linux. I have downloaded Slackware 9.0 and copied the slackware-9.0-install.iso.asc, slackware-9.0-install.iso.md5 & slackware-9.0-install.iso to a CD.
    You have to burn just slackware-9.0-install.iso and nothing else to a CD. Mane sure you select the option to burn it as an iso image. You don't want just one file burned to the CD, it should end up being a bunch of files and directories on the CD after the image is burned.

Linux Engineer
    Also, Slackware 10.1 is out, you should probably use that instead.

Here is some usefull information about ISO's:

Verify the image: http://linuxiso.org/viewdoc.php/verifyiso.html
    Burning ISO images: http://linuxiso.org/viewdoc.php/howtoburn.html

This 9.0 is an unmaintained release of Slackware, so be aware that your system could/will be vulnurable if connected to the Internet.
    I\'m so tired .....

Just Joined!
    you were correct, I did not copy the ISO file properly on the CD. Now it is fine. Thanks