Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've just installed Slackware 10, and after logging into the root account, I get the next screen. This screen always displays only a pattern of Red Green Blue and White ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

After login, display is RGB only.

I've just installed Slackware 10, and after logging into the root account, I get the next screen. This screen always displays only a pattern of Red Green Blue and White across the screen. I am wondering what may be causing this, and how I could go about fixing this.

Thanks a bunch.

Linux Engineer
    this happens when you login, or after you login and are trying to startx? If so, does the problem persist when using a user account, or only root?

Sounds like it may be an xorg.conf problem...but you should post a little more detail, and we can help you out more.
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Just Joined!
    Once I startx, that's right when the problem occurs.

Currently, there is only a root user account.

Well, basically, after startx, it brings up a screen much like that of a tv broadcasting signal tester (the bars of color), only these bars are much thinner, and only the colors i specified above. At the moment that the screen appears, the computer sounds like it's loading, but then it does nothing. you can't use ctrl + alt + del, and the mouse doesn't work either.

Linux Engineer
    use xwmconfig to change your default xwm, e.g. if you are set to use kde then switch to fluxbox and try startx again.

if the problem persists you need to redo your xorg.conf file, sounds like a monitor or graphics problem, so run xorgconfig and make sure all of the settings are correct for your computer, if anything is not optimal then you can edit it later by hand; however, make sure you get your graphics, monitor, and pointer information correct...pay attention to your monitor's vertical and horizontal sync settings, which you may have to look up online or in you manual, I had a similar problem for awhile and it was all because of those two little settings good luck and let us know how things go

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the help, but how do I get to xwmconfig? I'm a first time Linux user (bah, read: n00b), so I'm not quite familiar with commands or prompts.

Linux Engineer
    before you type startx you will be in the command line interface. first make sure that you know all of the information about your system, including your monitor specs.

to save your original xorg.conf settings incase of a screw up you can
    Code:
    cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak
    then
    Code:
    xorgconfig
    doing this in the cli will put you into the "wizard" configuration, where you will have to choose your mouse, monitor specs, video card, etc

if successful you can startx...if not run xwmconfig again