Find the answer to your Linux question:
Please, somebody help me. I installed slack 10.0 on a P4 at my work, it works fine, but if I use kde as my desktop, after +-10 min the system ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

kernel 2.4.26 + kde = system freeze

Please, somebody help me.

I installed slack 10.0 on a P4 at my work, it works fine, but if I use kde as my desktop, after +-10 min the system freeze for some time (2 or 3 minutes). If I use kernel 2.6, it doesn't freeze, but crash with VMware running (I'm using vmware to run AutoCad).

I don't know why it happens, if anybody know, please tell me

Linux Engineer
    well you could always check top and see if you have an inordinate amount of processes running, or if you have alot of ram you could comment out your swap drive in fstab or e.g. swapoff /dev/hda2, but I'm not sure if that would do the trick with vmware and autocad running you may need it.

try xwmconfig and use fluxbox instead of kde and test to see if your station still does this...it is much lighter than kde and fairly easy to configure and may provide alot of relief,
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Just Joined!
    very thanks

You are right, fluxbox is much lighter than kde. I think I'm going to use it. The only problem is that a can't open konqueror, or the system freeze for some minutes.

Maybe the problem with vmware is cause I compiled the kernel 2.6.10 with some wrong option. I'll try to use the kernel 2.6 generic that comes with the installation cd.

Linux Engineer
    ok, but remember that a custom compiled kernel is faster than a general one.
    Operating System: GNU Emacs