Find the answer to your Linux question:
Something is destroying my new install, using up a ton (all) of my cpu time but I just dont know how to find out what it is! I cant believe ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Whats eating my cpu time??

Something is destroying my new install, using up a ton (all) of my cpu time but I just dont know how to find out what it is! I cant believe my computers still running, though very laggy. I am a newbie so i tried using kde system load thing and that wont give me the answer I want. What can?

Linux Newbie
    Code:
    in a terminal :P
    Powered by Gentoo
    never ever ever use the hardened option in make.conf!

Linux User
    Use gwalters' advice. Top command will give you list of processes and how many cpu and memory they are taking.
    Linux registered user #358842
    Human knowledge belongs to the world.

Wesley
    Here is what I do.
    in X right click on panel and put a system monitor in the panel
    then it will probably show a 100% usage or close to it.
    then I open a shell and do a
    ps faux
    then
    I start killing processes one at a time till the system monitor goes down.

I have had the same problem and it turned out to be my ARTS (sound) and with further investication it turned out to be my modem and my sound card were conflicting so I added my modem to the blacklist and restarted sound (rebooted) then it worked fine after.
    Good Luck
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Linux Newbie
    Cool thanks, looks like one of my my arts processes was going buggy with something else too, killed it, i just had to restart x. It wouldnt close unless i killed it and left x and got back in. So it was stuck in memory, but dosent the driver stop outside of x and i could really "reboot" just by leaving x or no?

no arts runs so that if you change users it will be there for all. You will have to kill it. Arts isn't the problem though. I suspect that you have a hardware conflict. do a lsmod and see if you have a modem. If you do add it to the blacklist reboot and see if that fixes it
    Mike
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Linux Newbie
    Ok, heres my explanation. I have no modem but I told my audio player to play a huge playlist that is on a removable device that was actually removed when I set the player up to run, so it just looped the playlist continuously. Then, I could close the player, but the audio driver must have flipped out and kept on running around looking for the files. ehhh?

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley/g
    Ok, heres my explanation. I have no modem but I told my audio player to play a huge playlist that is on a removable device that was actually removed when I set the player up to run, so it just looped the playlist continuously. Then, I could close the player, but the audio driver must have flipped out and kept on running around looking for the files. ehhh?
    Not quite sure if your asking a question here, but maybe stop the music before you close the player.
    -- Linus Torvalds