Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys, I have to admit, I feel a bit lost at the moment. Here is what I did. As advised I compiled in to the kernel the Symmetric multi-processing ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler! :( Help!

Hi guys, I have to admit, I feel a bit lost at the moment. Here is what I did. As advised I compiled in to the kernel the Symmetric multi-processing support. After booting the kernel it gives me a kernel panic and halts. Here are the last 3 lines before it freezes:

Code:
    Code: Bad EIP Value 
    <0> kernel panic&#58; Aiee, killing interrupt handler! 
    In Interrupt handler - not syncing
    Before that I also get the following messages which as far as I can understand have to do with EIP:

Code:
    Activating hardware detection&#58; /etc/rc.d/rc.hotplug start
    Unable to handle kernel NULL Pointer dereference at virtual address 00000000
    *pde = 00000000
    Oops&#58; 0000
    CPU&#58; 0
    EIP&#58; 0010&#58;&#91;<00000000>&#93; not tainted
    The system that I am running is a Compaq ProLiant 5500 running Slackware 10.1. It has 4 CPUs currently installed in it. They are 450MHz Pentium II Xeons. The only thing I changed from the stock Slackware raid.s kernel is adding the SMP support. So it must be something that has to do with that. Only I have no idea how to fix it.

Any help, Please,

- Bogdan

Just Joined!
    Ok, just installed Fedora Core 2 on the same computer. It installed out of the box with SMP support and works grate! But I love Slackware I can copy the config file that Fedora used for its kernel. Do you think that would help? Any other ideas. I really want to get Slack running on this box, because I am most used to it and because I used it as a server platform for some time, so all my config scripts are designed for it. I would appreciate any help.

- Bogdan

Just Joined!
    Im getting this error as well. I just installed 3 gigabit Ethernet cards in a compaq with IPCop. ITs giving me this error then Rebooting before giving me a chance to even configure anything. IPCop regognized the cards. So I registered the card to one interface. now after restarting the computer just reboots after it reboots.
    Whats going on guys?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Hi, vertigoesi, and welcome to the forums!

Please start a new thread because this one is already over 2 years old.

Thanks...

oz
    oz