Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Hi I have a 1GHz Dell laptop that's currently running Debian and acting as a print server / backup computer in case something goes wrong with Gentoo. I'm fairly experienced ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Never used Slackware but interested

Hi
    I have a 1GHz Dell laptop that's currently running Debian and acting as a print server / backup computer in case something goes wrong with Gentoo. I'm fairly experienced with Linux, like challenges, and have always been interested in Slackware.

So, would Slackware be a good distro for a print server, file server, and DHCP/firewall? Also, the originial hard drive died so I only have an 8G in there now. Would that be enough space?

Any insight would be appreciated.

This will tell you the requirements and is very helpful its from the Slackware site

http://www.slackware.com/book/index....urce=x209.html

Also i suggest Slackware 10.1 which can be downloaded on the mirrors from this link

http://www.slackware.com/getslack/
    \"TTFN Taa Taa For Now\" by Tigger in Winnie the Pooh
    http://www.distrowatch.com Linux Distros
    We Live in a Windows World but there is Linux to save the day

Re: Never used Slackware but interested

Quote Originally Posted by groovygroundhog
    Hi
    I have a 1GHz Dell laptop that's currently running Debian and acting as a print server / backup computer in case something goes wrong with Gentoo. I'm fairly experienced with Linux, like challenges, and have always been interested in Slackware.

So, would Slackware be a good distro for a print server, file server, and DHCP/firewall? Also, the originial hard drive died so I only have an 8G in there now. Would that be enough space?

Any insight would be appreciated.
    I think would be fine. I find that slack has less "bloat" than debian, so it would be fine on an 8G drive.

Enjoy
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Be forewarned, though...Slack uses a different style of init scripts than most *nix distros and that takes a bit of getting used to at first.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Flatline
    Be forewarned, though...Slack uses a different style of init scripts than most *nix distros and that takes a bit of getting used to at first.
    true. I feel that slackware has it right though. That is my biggest dislike of debian, and many other distro. I like my /etc/rc.d

In some ways I think the Slackware init scripts are very nifty, but I "grew up" in the rest of the linux world, so it's always a bit disorienting when I first go back to Slack.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Is there anything in slack analogous to emerge or apt-get? If so, does it compile source or download binaries?

Linux Engineer
    slackware does have a version of apt-get, slapt-get I think; however, the default package tool is pkgtool, you dl the package from a repository yourself and installpkg whatever. Not to bad really, easier to compile yourself I've found though.
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

as genesus said there are several, slapt-get, swaret, etc.... however, there is no dependency checking...... I too find it eaiser just to compile yourself

Ok, so there's no native apt-get type program for Slack? I'm fine with compiling myself but I just wanted to check. Personally I don't like apt. Rather, I think Gentoo meets you in the middle with emerge since you control all the compile options. Either way, I guess you can't use Linux without compiling yourself. Plus, where'd the fun be otherwise?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast