Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
I use slackware because it has a limited number of packages and therefore runs faster. Only a few things to start up on boot. I have 650Mhz Pentium III. And ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

FAST

I use slackware because it has a limited number of packages and therefore runs faster. Only a few things to start up on boot. I have 650Mhz Pentium III. And it still runs fast.
    My New years Resolution is 1280x1024

Linux Engineer
    I used slackware for a long time, and on my older laptop it was the only one that gave a useable x for a long time, but gentoo even upstages slack when custom compiled...I love it...liked slack much better than arch for speed, though I haven't had time to experiement with bsd yet, but soon
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Linux Newbie
    Slackware is one of the fastest, but you can't really compare it to BSD -- they are not in the same rank. Gentoo can get really fast too, if you spend some time with it.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Angel
    Yes, Slackware is very fast. Probably faster than a lot of other distros. From my experience the only distro that is as fast as Slack is ArchLinux.
    And ArchLinux has Slackware as one of the role models. Another is gentoo which it mimics in package management (pacman).

What's funny.. gentoo people usually say that because of all "ricing" and customization that building from source enables, gentoo is very fast - but then again, without all that hassle slackware is either faster or running for gentoo's heels.. And if you consider all the time spent on compiling, nothing can compare.

So, yes, besides arch, slack is most likely the fastest (and simplest) distros around.

Once Arch get's better and more stable, it could be a worthy succesor.

Thanks

Just Joined!
    I Like the sounds of Slack and it is my going to be my new distro for my athlon xp box (see signature), BUT I am going to stick with Gentoo for my workstation since slack does not support the PA-RISC architecture

Just Joined!
    I use slackware because it has a limited number of packages and therefore runs faster.
    I also like Slack's speed and stablity. Probably why I've been using Slack since 1995. But what does the number of packages have to do with speed or anything else? The number of packages isn't what makes a distro slow or fast unless you're talking about installation time.

How fast your system runs is determined by how much of your resources are being used by running services, how the software is compiled and optimized, and is in no way influenced by the number of installed packages.

After having experimented with Gentoo, Arch. Debian, Debian-based derivatives, and LFS, Slack is tops in my book.

Just Joined!
    I really gotta try FreeBSD one day, it's on my to-do list . But otherwise, Slack is fast. I never used arch-linux, I'm thinking that I should though...

-Jim

Any other distros made for speed out there? I tried Vector, it seems very fast as well (it is also slack based). I found arch a bit too hard to install.
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Just Joined!
    I have an old 533MHz and am running SuSe on it. It is slow as dog crap. Being a noob, do you think it will be hard for me to switch to Slack? I love the idea of speed, reliability and security.

It's just you. No really, hear me out. I've tried many, many distributions out there and unless you're actually talking benchmark tests here, "fast" is up to the person.

Does "fast" mean how long it takes for a menu to pop up in my window manager? Many things could cause this to seem "slower", none of which have anything to do with my choice in distribution. Some examples are your display driver, what window manager or desktop environment you use, what the sync ratio on your monitor is, and the speed of your actual display card.

Does "fast" mean boot time? Any distribution can be tailored to load only the modules you need at boot, so this again is subjective.

Does "fast" mean compile-time for programs? This has everything to do with the overall speed of your computer hardware and very very little (if anything) to do with your choice in distribution.

How fast is "fast" or "faster"? People have said there are speed improvements in the 2.6 Linux kernel that make it "more responsive" than the 2.4 kernel. I have yet to notice any difference on any distribution I've tried. What distro may seem "faster" or "more responsive" to one person could seem "sluggish" and "bloated" to others. A good example is my personal favorite distribution, SuSE. It's "fast" enough and "responsive" enough for me not to notice any lag or bloat, but many folks (Slack fans included) will rail against how slow it is in comparison to Slack or Arch or Gentoo or [insert pet distro here].

In short, it most certainly is just you, because what you consider fast is up to your personal interpretation, and what you consider "fast" or "faster" will not be the same universally.

If someone has actual millisecond benchmarks done for everyday tasks in one distribution to the next that can scientifically "prove" that one distribution is faster or more responsive than another, that's a different story, of course.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast