Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
For me, boot times are importaint, as well as the time it takes for various programs to open, the time it takes to swich desktops, etc. Desktop environments play a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

For me, boot times are importaint, as well as the time it takes for various programs to open, the time it takes to swich desktops, etc. Desktop environments play a very large part of it, since they use resources in the backround, meaning programs have less sistem resources available. KDE is probably the slowest, while Fluxbox, IceWM, Xfce (my personal choice) are all quite light.

As for Suse, I actually did time the boot times (9.1) and it was quite a bit slower than Win XP, as well as Mepis (with KDE). Currently I am using Mepis with Xfce, so it is even faster. The same goes for the time it takes to open a program (no, I didn't time this). Note that this is with the same settings! I saved my /home folder when I installed SimplyMepis. I ran KDE with transparency but not much else. Anyways, I am trying out Vector now, I installed the 5.0 beta 1, it really was faster than Mepis, but it had a few 'beta' problems, now I am trying the 5.0.1 SOHO edition. I haven't had much time to play around with it yet.
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Linux Newbie
    I tired installing Freebsd but ugh its hard to install so i gave up. I keep on getting stuck at the Partioning step lol. I'v tried its livecd verzion and I LOVE IT, it's REALLY fast. I had slack 10.0 installed and loved it but cant get 10.1 to boot, tears.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3