Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
I installed Slack last week but only today did I got a chance to start playing with it. I'm running it on a 1GHz Dell C800 laptop with 256Mb of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Is it just me, or is Slack really fast?

I installed Slack last week but only today did I got a chance to start playing with it. I'm running it on a 1GHz Dell C800 laptop with 256Mb of RAM. Here's the thing: I've never seen this computer fly so fast. Slack puts Debian to shame, but I don't understand why. All of the sudden X is responsive enough to use again (as compared to a 2.8GHz system with Gentoo). Has anyone else had that type of experience?

Slack makes my P2 350Mhz 256MB RAM run like a racecar...gotta love that!!!

It is fast, but there are even faster distributions out there. ArchLinux is a good example of that.
    I\'m so tired .....

Linux User
    Yes, Slackware is very fast. Probably faster than a lot of other distros. From my experience the only distro that is as fast as Slack is ArchLinux.
    Linux registered user #358842
    Human knowledge belongs to the world.

Just Joined!

Yeah, it is:)

The fastiest distro i ever used (nerve used archlinux, but it is faster, i think ) but FreeBSD is even faster

slackware prides itself on it's speed, stability and security. patrick optimises all packages, he introduces only stable packages, and then so only when he's run the full range of tests on them, and modified them if needed, to make sure they're stable and secure. it's for this reason he dropped gnome as on average it took up 1/3 of development time.

maybe this will give you some idea as to why slackware is so good, it doesn't aim to try and get it's newest distro out first, it's fully tested and optimized to as best as possible, it doesn't incorperate all the latest bleeding-edge software for the sake of being the most "up-to-date" and it doesn't go around giving you every choice of software available, rather a handfull of the most suitable.

it's for these reasons i love it so much, as i always say "i use it because i consider it the best around, i don't consider it the best around because i use it"

Just Joined!

Oh, yeah!

it's for these reasons i love it so much, as i always say "i use it because i consider it the best around, i don't consider it the best around because i use it
    This was so perfect! I think I will change my signature

Slackware r0x!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krendoshazin
    it's for these reasons i love it so much, as i always say "i use it because i consider it the best around, i don't consider it the best around because i use it"
    Ah, Krendoshazin is one after my own heart. You wouldn't happen to be a female and rich would you?

nope, neither one

Just Joined!
    Curses, foiled again. Where can I meet a girl that loves Slackware as much as I? She needs to apprecitate Slack's security and stability as she will get neither of these from me. :P

P.S. I really don't expect an answer to that question.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast