Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
yay for not sleeping :P (but its only been two days for me) well, what would recompiling the kernel do for me? would i loose all the stuff i have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

yay for not sleeping :P (but its only been two days for me)
    well, what would recompiling the kernel do for me? would i loose all the stuff i have installed? I might just download the .iso's for slack 10.1 and install that since kde is growing on me and ive f...ed up other stuff with this instalation Pretty much the only thing that went right was that my wireless worked from the beginning...
    but what do you think would be better, recompile the kernel, or upgrade to 10.1?

ps. im leaving in the morning to go to...somewhere/cant remeber so ill be gone for awhile...
    Registered Linux User Number 373366

Just Joined!

hehehehe

Okay, think you misunderstood :P
    When you do the nem kernel, you will never loose, the worse thing that can happen is to recompile again, that are a lot of docs on the net about this
    My advice is, when you configure lilo, or whatever you use to boot, do NOT change the entry wich is there, instead, create a new one, so, if your kernel do not bootstrap, you can re boot from the old one

When the nem kernel gets OK you will no longer need to care about the modules, cause it will be already in it! So, you can just mix the sound, with rexima or whatever
    You will not need to reinstall or deinstall anything, okay? Dont be worryed abouyt it now :P

Perhaps kde was a mistake, heard about enlightenment? Muck better, but will require some confs from the user, KDE make people dependent and addicts :P
    Joking, use what ou like

Hope you compile it without probems but it does not happen very often :P

Linux Newbie
    haha i have heard of enlightenment, and used it on my old laptop. I really liked it, but the setup took me almost 4 days :P I ended up having the laptop taken away from me though But ill have to read up on the this kernel stuff :P

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

dont forget

Dont forget to tell if you got anyproblem or if you solve the problem

Linux Newbie
    well, i installed slackware 10.1. It works really well, but still no sound. I ran alsaconf, and everything went fine, but still no sound. When I try to open a mixer, It says "no mixer elems found" or something alon those lines... yet again, i have no idea of what to do

Just Joined!
    Did you try another mixer? When I recompiled my 2.6.x kernel, rexima stopped working, but alsamixer worked well, so, try using other mixers, if the problem persists, try the module loading ( did you load the correct module? ) Hope it helps..

Linux Newbie
    kmix, amixer, and alsamixer dont work...and im a little confused about the modules. how do i know which is the right one? and how do i find/load it?

Just Joined!
    Hm, thats easy, to see the card you have, do the:

Code:
    lspci
    The, look the line about multimedia, the alphanumeric code may be the module name, to check it, go to:

Code:
    cd /lib/modules/2.x2y/kernel/sound/pci
    And look for the code you found with lspci, the, you load the module with
    Code:
    modprobe modulename
    without the extension, so, dont put the .o.gz or whatever it is, hope this help you

Linux Newbie
    still no luck ill keep playing around with more modules, but i have noticed that my sound works if i run the slackware live cd. Could i find out what module it uses, and then load that myself? Or are there any alsaconf settings i could copy?

try this
    modprobe snd-ac97-codec
    modprobe snd-intel8x0 ac97_clock=48000
    and then add snd-intel8x0m to /etc/hotplug/blacklist, see if that does the trick

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast