Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Hi, Slith. This is her hubby. We actually do not use KDE The multi/virtual desktop setup should show you that. We do use Enlightenment, with extensions. And we do not ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    MoS
    Just Joined!

Hi, Slith. This is her hubby.

We actually do not use KDE The multi/virtual desktop setup should show you that. We do use Enlightenment, with extensions. And we do not utilize the standardized localities for .xinitrc and the other xinit scripts. So far, I have it down to a possible voltage and/or power source problem, as the boots appear to happen at the same times daily, in or out of an X environment (but she didn't know that). I'm aiming at possibly getting a UPS and connecting it to see if that is the problem. If so, then at the times that these anomolies occur, the UPS should kick in, keeping the ATX PS from rebooting (through a simulated "restart" surge). If it continues, then it would possibly be the voltage regulation in the PS causing the CPU to process malformed code because there is not enough voltage running through the mainboard, or it could also be the 12v side malfunctioning, causing corrupt data from the swapping area and subsequent reboot or halts followed by an APM/ACPI initiated reboot.

I ruled in the possibility of corrupt application(s) until last night when a reboot occurred in an alternate Linux system on the same machine. Neither are set up with either cron nor at, so it is not a misfiring task. And it is not (as far as I believe) the swapping partition, since I have changed that last night to a different partition set, and it still rebooted.

I believe that would only leave the expensive options left: hardware. I am going to go with the most fruitful of financial endeavours first (the UPS) and probably go a bit higher end, since I should be able to take the UPS "on the road" with me and power up some nifty devices in the car if/when needed if that doesn't seem to be the problem. And a UPS is a good idea anyway, especially during the winter season when power is more likely to go out because of snow and ice.

Anyway, thanks for trying to help her out, although she would have found none of the files you referred to because they aren't where you would normally find them Our box is the way one is meant to be: customized, personalized, and just the way we want it....except for these damned reboots

Thanks again.

Just Joined!
    Hm... I was getting cofused with all that " I dont use wm" thing :P
    Thanks for making everything so clear, and I hope you solve the problem soon, and as you just said, the hardware may be with problems (if the sys has no at or cron or any task manager), so, thank you for the explanation, and if I can help, count on me

Just Joined!
    Oh, and I almost forgot, sorry for the KDE-thing, but that really looks like in the first time, but Enlightenment rox, and KDE is just too big to me, I am satisfyed with my Waimea desktop, even if it is not Linux (FreeBSD 5.3), so, see you latter, pal

Ps.: How can one stop laughing of the banana with John Travolta's complex? lol

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    MoS
    Just Joined!
    it was the 512 Ram chip !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SDram chip at that. We got to save up for more ram. it was bad 45 megs into it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2