Find the answer to your Linux question:
1. I have just installed Slackware 10 on a PIII 800MHz. I have set up the DNS server, Apache, but i have no clue how to set up a POP3 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Slackware 10 questions

1. I have just installed Slackware 10 on a PIII 800MHz. I have set up the DNS server, Apache, but i have no clue how to set up a POP3 mail server. I would like to be able to send and receive from anywhere and from localhost(php).

Can anyone help me ?

2. The other issue is that i would like an antivirus to scan my incoming mails but i don't know any. Could someone tell me of a good antivirus ?

3. The third and last thing i would like to set up a firewall. I would like to set it up by myself. From what i have read on the net I can make the firewall do whatever I want I just need to learn the code. Are there any good resources (simple to understand tutorials) about this subject.

Thank you

P.S. I haven't installed X because it doesn't start, so if anyone has an answer to the issues above, please keep this in mind.

Just Joined!
    smtp -> qmail (or sendmail /postfix)
    pop3 -> dovecot (it supports imap too)
    antivirus -> clamav
    anti-spam -> spamassassin

The simplest firewall would be

Code:
    IPF='<path to>/iptables -t filter '
    STATE='-m state --state '

$IPF -F
    $IPF -Z
    $IPF -X

$IPF -P INPUT DROP
    $IPF -P FORWARD DROP

$IPF -A INPUT $STATE RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
    you can check the documentation and the fabulous tutorials/examples on the netfilter website.

Code:
    man iptables
    will also help you gain insight into this great firewall tool.

Just Joined!
    Thank you for answering but i don't know how to set up postfix or sendmail. Do you know ? (step by step like for children) ?

I found some tutorials on the net but they all missed a few steps or something...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I prefer qmail . you can check the LifeWithQMail documentation. It is impeccably perfect.

And you would find adequate documentation configuring qmail+spamassassin+clamav to configure a formidable mail system that would rarely let a spam or virusmail pass through.[/url]