Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello. Does anybody know how to clean up old and unneccessary files on a Slackware 9.1 server without being logged in as root? The fact is that the root is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

temporary files

Hello. Does anybody know how to clean up old and unneccessary files on a Slackware 9.1 server without being logged in as root? The fact is that the root is currently on holiday and everytime we even try to use the mail, it says that there is no free space to complete the operation. theere is a whole partition mounted on /var that is completely full. Can anybody help me restore everyday activities without causing any damage and/or problems to the system? I only am a regular user.

Linux Engineer
    Well, every user in the system can remove its temporary files, if that's what you're asking. I don't think you can do any damage..

Temporary files are in /var/tmp and /tmp.
    serzsite.com.ar
    "All the drugs in this world won\'t save you from yourself"

Re: temporary files

Quote Originally Posted by rdss
    Hello. Does anybody know how to clean up old and unneccessary files on a Slackware 9.1 server without being logged in as root? The fact is that the root is currently on holiday and everytime we even try to use the mail, it says that there is no free space to complete the operation. theere is a whole partition mounted on /var that is completely full. Can anybody help me restore everyday activities without causing any damage and/or problems to the system? I only am a regular user.
    I'm sure that when 'root' returns from vacation he/she will be pleased that you did NOT crash the system and that no one here (so far as I know) has helped you hack in!

Best left alone.
    registered Linux user #388382

Have you checked here first?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Oh, I didn't read the part that you don't have root access...

Unfortunately, without root access you do anything other than removing files you own, temporary files you own (you can't have many of them). Now, if you do have physical access to the machine, you could do something to get root, but it'd be kind of illegal if you are not the admin.
    serzsite.com.ar
    "All the drugs in this world won\'t save you from yourself"