Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
the command is 'adduser', and it'll give you the option to choose a password for the account you set up, it's all done in one go. once the account is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

the command is 'adduser', and it'll give you the option to choose a password for the account you set up, it's all done in one go. once the account is made, log into it and type 'startx' to start X Windows, 'xwmconfig' will allow you to choose the environment you want

Spent alot of time this weekend in the irc got somethings figured out and some not. Slack is not quite as idiot friendly as some others but if I didnt like a challenge I wouldnt be using Linux at all Currently I am doing research on setting up my internet and my wireless desktop.

Internet: is cable run through a wireless router (pc is wired)

Wireless Desktop: Logitech keyboard and mouse

The keyboard for soem reason works but the mous doesnt. Now a note the keyborad does NOT work in Lilo so I had ot plug up a wired keyboard to select which OS I wanted to boot. I am going to be reinstalling the whole thing soon ass I did not set up a swap partition nor did I set different partitions for / , /home , and there is another I believe I am supposed to have a seperate partition for. I just wanted to get through an install first and get everything working. I am having a lot of fun so far and learning lots. That dang darkstar sure through me for a loop though. Does anyone know why it's darkstar and not just Slackware? Seems to me like that would be a bit more obvious as to what it is. Well anywa I am having lots of fun and I am still glad I chose slack, adn thanks ot everyone who helped me over the weekend.

it's darkstar because that's what the default hostname is if one isn't set
    Code:
    if [ -r /etc/HOSTNAME ]; then
      /bin/hostname $(cat /etc/HOSTNAME | cut -f1 -d .)
    else
      echo "darkstar.example.net" > /etc/HOSTNAME
      /bin/hostname darkstar
    fi
    /etc/rc.d/rc.M

darkstar is one of Patrick Volkerding's development machines, named after “Dark Star”, a song by the Grateful Dead

I also formatted over 32gigs of music and 15 gis of movies lessons are learned soo hard.

Re: Excited to Slack!

Quote Originally Posted by JCaserta
    but much to my excitement I started finding screens that had alot of what I wanted and the people were using Slack!! So I now know that I can have the distro of my choice and the look of my dream desktop
    see here for loads of screenshots, they're all slackware
    http://slackwaregallery.com/thumbnai...=4&page=1#body

Hey thanks, those were great!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2