Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I am in the midst of choosing a distro to go with, I am a new Linux user, and from everything i have read Slack is where I want to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Excited to Slack!

I am in the midst of choosing a distro to go with, I am a new Linux user, and from everything i have read Slack is where I want to go. I had been doing alot of browsing screenies to see what the different distro's looked like as well. I got a bit worried that I wouldnt be able to get the look that I wanted, from bits and pieces I had seen from random screens, but much to my excitement I started finding screens that had alot of what I wanted and the people were using Slack!! So I now know that I can have the distro of my choice and the look of my dream desktop. I truely wish the post your desktop thread was more active, as I would love to see what the more veteren users find most useful to have on their desktops. I do understand that alot of it is just preference and based on what kind of things your doing with your puter, but still nice to look at. So all in all this is a Hello from a soon to be new Slack users.

Welcome aboard the slacker trail. I personally am glad to see more slackers joining. This a great community and I am sure you will like slackware a lot once you get it dialed in. The road to get there is bumpy at times but once you are there it is smooth sailing
    welcome
    Mike
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Holy CoW!! 4 discs I had no idea it was soo big. Why is it soo much bigger than others that I have looked at, is it that it comes with many apps already installed or what?

When I installed Slack, I only used the first two discs.
    And I don't have any problem with Slack.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

you only need the first two disks, cd's 3 & 4 are source code

that is fabulous news as I am in the middle of DLing 3 and 4 and it has stalled =\ glad you told me so i can just cut it and forget it =D

Just Joined!
    You only need the first disk to install Slack. 2nd disc if you want KDE and Gnome, of course you may as well not install Gnome since it won't be included in future Slackware releases.

the second disk also has the 'testing' directory, but yeah, for most well matured slackware users they'll only need the first disk

Oh no I installed slack and lilo, when i booted slack for the first time it asked me for my darkstar login. I have no idea wth that is!! I never set that up. I tried not entering anything and that didnt work. this is slack 10.1 btw. I hope someone can help.

Just login as root, no password.
    To set a root password, do
    Code:
    passwd
    Then you will need to add a user.
    Code:
    useradd or adduser
    one of those should work.
    Then to create a password for that user, do
    Code:
    passwd username
    How to know if you are a geek.