Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
It never asked me for the second cd and just said that it was done. Then when I tried to start it it said error loading operating system. Sigh. So ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

It never asked me for the second cd and just said that it was done. Then when I tried to start it it said error loading operating system. Sigh. So much hard work. Oh well, suppose it'll be good when I get it working!

Paul if you are installing 10.1 then you've done something wrong, as I just spent the whoel weekend installing and reinstalling slack and every single time it asked me for the second disk... I am not an experienced user but I would say do it over. It's what I did.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulStavanger
    So much hard work. Oh well, suppose it'll be good when I get it working!
    Come on, Man! People that install well on their first time ever just don't appreciate what they have! Keep at it, and remember: we learn from our mistakes. That's why there're so many smart people here.

If you do 'df' Linux will tell you how big and how full each partition is.

When you get error messages, try to read several lines before the message and let us know what you see. That helps us figure out exactly where it broke and it makes diagnosis easier.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!
    Got it all working now (except for various drivers but that's not so important for the time being). The first time I tried to install it I think my laptop must have done something dodgy because it missed out that step and told me to reboot. It's just loading up KDE now...

ETA: started reinstalling it again because I couldn't get it to connect to my wireless router. I think it's probably to do with it not having the drivers for my wireless pcmcia card (though the card had power so I don't know). It's all rather exciting.

Just Joined!
    Still having a few problems - I can't get it connected to the internet you see. At home we have a wireless router that doesn't have any encryption (wireless b) and normally you automatically pick up the signal and just go on the internet with practically no configuartion. Now the laptop is getting power to it's wireless pcmcia card so I think it's probably working, except for the fact that no data is being sent. I've plugged a LAN cable into my computer and into the laptop but my computer doesn't register a connection. It's almost like the advent just isn't broadcasting or receiving. Very bizarre.

Also, i think in artsd an error comes up that closes it down on boot but this isn't such an issue as the guy who wrote stuff about the advent said that there was lots of sound problems; i can sort that out later.

I used the bareacpi.i kernel off the install cd and was wondering if I should upgrade or build one myself (though I'll be buggered if I know how to).

Linux Guru
    Have you actually set up networking , yet? That requires specifying a hostname, selecting dhcp (yes) or static (no), identify the device that you want to use to connect to the network and identify the gateway address. Maybe some of that is done by default, but that's the kind of stuff that needs to be in place for connection to your network. Your situation is complicated by your use of both pcmcia and wireless, either of which could be configured in such a way as to keep you from being connected. You should search these forums for each of these items.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by drakebasher
    Have you actually set up networking , yet? That requires specifying a hostname, selecting dhcp (yes) or static (no), identify the device that you want to use to connect to the network and identify the gateway address. Maybe some of that is done by default, but that's the kind of stuff that needs to be in place for connection to your network. Your situation is complicated by your use of both pcmcia and wireless, either of which could be configured in such a way as to keep you from being connected. You should search these forums for each of these items.
    I thuoght I had set it up, host name lnxlap, tried dhcp didn't work so assigned all static (which were correct because I'm used to home networking by now). Still no data passage. PCMCIA is configured because the card does light up so to speak which it doesn't when PCMCIA isn't on (i.e. before it's booted into linux). It doesn't connect to my local computer through the lan port either so I'm at a loss there.

I've decided to take the following course of action following advice from my physics teacher who is a linux junkie:

- Install fedora core as the main OS and get acqainted with Linux in general.

- When I'm comfortable with how linux works and have a working Kernel and things like that, install Slackware onto another partition

So I may be temporarily putting off slackware, but it's probably for the greater good. There's no point learning shakespeare when you can't read or write, after all. See you in a few weeks hopefully then, no doubt bothering you all with more stupid questions about slackware!

It's actually not a bad idea. But for the lan port, try connecting them and then restarting slack. It should pick up on the connection on boot up.
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2