Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I just installed Slackware on my computer and I am still trying to get it all set-up and figure out how to use it. What I am trying to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

some slackware questions

Hello,

I just installed Slackware on my computer and I am still trying to get it all set-up and figure out how to use it.

What I am trying to do right now is set up an FTP sever. But I am unable to figureout if slackware come with one\where it is at\how to start it\how to configure it.

Could someone please answer my questions or point me to a URL that can answer them?

Just Joined!
    the one i got with my installation (10.0 and now upgraded to 10.1) is proftpd and its really simple you dont need to edit any configuration files (/etc/proftpd.conf if you would like to know wich one applies for proftpd) if you dont want anonymous login if you do you can find some examples here http://www.proftpd.org/docs/example-conf.html if you dont just say proftpd start(as root) and now you can login via ftp with one of these :
    root with the root password
    any user you made with the password (the files you see are de ones in /home/*username*)

just add a user on your machine to add a user for ftp login.
    one more thing if you get an error message while doing proftpd start you must edit /etc/proftpd.conf and edit the line where it says
    ServerType inetd
    and change it to
    ServerType standalone
    now you have to start proftpd manually everytime you boot your machine if u want it to start as a service (start with the system on the background) change ServerType standalone back to inetd

hope it helps,
    youri

Just Joined!
    Thank you for your help.
    I now got FTP up and running :>

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close