Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

some slackware questions

I just installed Slackware on my computer and I am still trying to get it all set-up and figure out how to use it.

What I am trying to do right now is set up an FTP sever. But I am unable to figureout if slackware come with one\where it is at\how to start it\how to configure it.

Could someone please answer my questions or point me to a URL that can answer them?

the one i got with my installation (10.0 and now upgraded to 10.1) is proftpd and its really simple you dont need to edit any configuration files (/etc/proftpd.conf if you would like to know wich one applies for proftpd) if you dont want anonymous login if you do you can find some examples here if you dont just say proftpd start(as root) and now you can login via ftp with one of these :
    root with the root password
    any user you made with the password (the files you see are de ones in /home/*username*)

just add a user on your machine to add a user for ftp login.
    one more thing if you get an error message while doing proftpd start you must edit /etc/proftpd.conf and edit the line where it says
    ServerType inetd
    and change it to
    ServerType standalone
    now you have to start proftpd manually everytime you boot your machine if u want it to start as a service (start with the system on the background) change ServerType standalone back to inetd

hope it helps,

Thank you for your help.
    I now got FTP up and running :>

4. $spacer_open