Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, im about to take the plunge and install slackware 10.1 on a fat32 partition (ill reformat it reiser preferabbly, or ext3) ive been using as a win swap (dont ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

slackware 10.1 install w/o floppy?

Ok, im about to take the plunge and install slackware 10.1 on a fat32 partition (ill reformat it reiser preferabbly, or ext3) ive been using as a win swap (dont ask ) Im currently dling all 4 iso's, but in reading a little im worried im gonna need a floppy drive for the boot and root disks (still a little confused on that to be honest), and i dont even have one in my pc anymore (i could probably dig one out of my closet if i really need to). Also, Im going this route, because i have suse 9.2pro now, and though im very happy with it, i feel kinda jipped outta really learning linux and bash. rpms and yast and the like are great, but they're way to easy to fall back on, and i wanna know this the way i knew dos 5.0 back in the day! The sys im running now uses grub for my bootloader, and has suse and win (for gaming) as the options. Im hoping i can install this and just have slackware added to that list. I also have another pc in the house that will prolly have suse installed (though possibly xp, since its more the family 'puter) , and im hoping to set slackware up as a LAMP server, again, for learnings sake. So, to get to my question(s) , 1. do i NEED the fdd to install slackware, and 2. any general suggestions on this whole process, knowing what my goals are? Thanks so much in advance, and i look forward to joining our ranks
    Thanks again,
    Jeff

1. No, you can boot and install from cd on modern systems
    2. Edit the httpd.conf file to suit your needs and build the initial databases needed to run mysqld.
    Code:
    su - mysql
    mysql_install_db
    exit
    and follow the instructions on the screen. To enable starting at boot make the rc.mysql script in /etc/rc.d/ executable. Same applies to apache.
    Don't configure a boot manager during setup and use grub to add your installation to your list of operating systems.
    You can use the SuSE swap partition for Slackware most of the times.

Just Joined!
    thanks puntmuts! (i like the new avatar btw ) Im gonna start this whole process today, so i'll either keep you informed, or beg for help Hope life in the eu is going well.... its not here! (please make the christian right go away) Anyways, nice to hear from u again.... l8r
    Jeff
    p.s. Will choosing the packages needed for LAMP during install be pretty self explanatory? just curious... thnx again

Linux User
    I jsut installed Slack about a week ago. The installation was pretty straightforward but I had a lot of fun fin tuning it, for example I found that my optical mouse didn't want to use it's scroll button for scrolling so I had to go find the files to edit for that.
    I can't give much advice about it but I can tell you that so far I'm having a blast using it, as I'm sure you will too
    Here is a link that I found useful.http://www.linuxtux.org/~juhl/slackwarefaq/
    registered linux user: 387197

Just Joined!
    i used this link during my install http://www.bitbenderforums.com/vb22/...?postid=311808

but i disagree with some of the choices like i prefer reisrfs not ext2 and i used cfdisk to partition

Quote Originally Posted by guitarinvegas
    p.s. Will choosing the packages needed for LAMP during install be pretty self explanatory? just curious... thnx again
    Sorry to be so late at replying . Thanks . The configuration files are well commented and pretty self-explanary.