Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, this is my first post here and I'm quite the linux n00b. I'm running slackware 10.0 on an old 266mhz machine with a KVM switch that is linked ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Small annoyance in X

Hi all, this is my first post here and I'm quite the linux n00b.
    I'm running slackware 10.0 on an old 266mhz machine with a KVM switch that is linked to a windows/SuSE box. My problem is that when I switch over to the slack 10.0 machine and say...type in a web addresss or while writing this post, if I use BACKSPACE to delete my spelling errors (which I assume most ppl do) it deletes the characters, but when I stop hitting the backspace to delete leaves a 'q' right where I stop. The only wayq<--example.. I can delete w/o leaving a random 'q' when I'm done correcting mistakes is to use the actual delete key located below the insert key.
    If I open an xterm it behaves in the same manor. If I logout of xwindows (KDE 3.2) to the command line the backspace key does not do this. If i startx again, it will do the same thing. When I reboot the machine it does correct this issue, untill I use the KVM switch to go to the other machine. (the switch command is scroll lock +scroll lock + up arrow key) then it appears again once I switch back to the slack machine.
    Now some people might want to say it's the KVM switch. I also want to add that I have experienced the same issue on a totally different computer. At school I use a mount rank hard drive that I have installed slack 10.0 on and during random times ( i haven't been able to narrow it down to one certain thing that causes it) I get the same problem. The computer at school does not use a kvm or anything special, just a straight forward setup. I'm using KDE on both setups. Any ideas or suggestions? Please help, its really annoying tqo have to deleteq an extra 'q' whenq ever qI want to correct a misqstake!!!

Re: Small annoyance in X

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzkraig
    Hi all, this is my first post here and I'm quite the linux n00b.
    I'm running slackware 10.0 on an old 266mhz machine with a KVM switch that is linked to a windows/SuSE box. My problem is that when I switch over to the slack 10.0 machine and say...type in a web addresss or while writing this post, if I use BACKSPACE to delete my spelling errors (which I assume most people do) it deletes the characters, but when I stop hitting the backspace to delete leaves a 'q' right where I stop. The only wayq<--example.. I can delete w/o leaving a random 'q' when I'm done correcting mistakes is to use the actual delete key located below the insert key.
    If I open an xterm it behaves in the same manor. If I logout of xwindows (KDE 3.2) to the command line the backspace key does not do this. If i startx again, it will do the same thing. When I reboot the machine it does correct this issue, untill I use the KVM switch to go to the other machine. (the switch command is scroll lock +scroll lock + up arrow key) then it appears again once I switch back to the slack machine.
    Now some people might want to say it's the KVM switch. I also want to add that I have experienced the same issue on a totally different computer. At school I use a mount rank hard drive that I have installed slack 10.0 on and during random times ( i haven't been able to narrow it down to one certain thing that causes it) I get the same problem. The computer at school does not use a kvm or anything special, just a straight forward setup. I'm using KDE on both setups. Any ideas or suggestions? Please help, its really annoying tqo have to deleteq an extra 'q' whenq ever qI want to correct a misqstake!!!
    I have not had the issue that you are talking about infact I use a kvm switch between a freebsd box and a slackware box. When I switch to slackware works fine when I switch to freebsd I have to unplug and replug my mouse to make it work + it has to be on the freebsd light or the bsd won't pick up the mouse or keyboard during boot.
    As far as slack no issues at all as far as slack. I didn't even have problems before I upgraded, but yours is kind o f dated you might try upgrading slack.
    Mike
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Just Joined!
    I upgraded to slack 10.1..I even built a whole new machine (which I had been planning on doing for a while). I'm running on a p4 2.7 for my secondary computer, using no parts from the old one, and using GNOME desktop instead of KDE..
    I'm still getting the same weird thing when I switch back and forth between boxes several times with the kvm switch. Any other suggestions? I am truly stumped