Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello everyone, after quite a long time of inactivity from the site ... I'm back for help and to help - i was a couple of days ago logging into ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

KDE3.4 on Slack10

hello everyone,

after quite a long time of inactivity from the site ... I'm back for help and to help - i was a couple of days ago logging into my msn account through kopete and I discovered that the MSN has made a change in its server - the weird thing is that the fix for that 'bug' (not a real bug tho) is available on latest package of kopete which runs just on KDE3.4 - so I went and looked for that package and guess what? I didn't manage to get it anywhere - DOES ANYONE ALREADY RUN KDE3.4 ON SLACK10? if so ... would you tell me where you got it from? - actually, to say the truth, I found KDE3.4 only for the latest version of slack (current) which I decided not to install cos of the back pain it gave me again in order to make it see and recognize my sound card and other hardware

any ...screaming?
    If you get on the wrong train all the stations you will come to will be the wrong stations.
    Zen

Linux Newbie
    go into slackware current and extras and install "slackpkg"
    then use this to upgrade your entire computer, or just that lib that you need, easily and without any problems.
    good luck
    Registered Linux user #390336

Just Joined!
    if u have a good internet connection try to use Swaret. it is very handy program searches the web for new versions of packeges, that you have already on ur computer, and upgrade them just in a click!
    go to here:
    Code:
    swaret.sf.net
    download and install it. go and edit the /etc/swaret.conf and change this line:
    VERSION="10.0"
    to
    VERSION="current"
    now if u run this:
    Code:
    sudo swaret --update && swaret --upgrade
    u will see bunch of new versions of packages ready to get ur permit to be upgraded
    good luck!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    thanx ALL,

i managed to find a basic KDE3.4 package and I'm sure to have installed it correctly (Konstruct package did it for me in over 6 hours) now when i go to KDE control center it stil says that the version of KDE running on my box is 3.2

to better prove that when I tried to upgrade kopete0.9 to kopete0.10 (to get the MSN fix) I got an error message during compilation saying:

checking for makekdewidgets... not found
    configure: error: The important program makekdewidgets was not found!
    Please check whether you installed KDE correctly.

So, what do i do to check whether the KDE3.4 is actually running on my PC? - -I must admit though that nothing seems to have changed (windows styles, background, etc...) - even more... I went to the KDE website and couldnt find that makekdewidgets program

any ideas?
    If you get on the wrong train all the stations you will come to will be the wrong stations.
    Zen

If I remember correctly, Konstruct creates a separate KDE installation; that way if you're trying out a beta or alpha release you won't bork your current desktop. You're going to have to take a look at the documentation to see how to start your new KDE environment.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Linux Newbie
    flatline... you are right!

I just figured that out and infact I'm spending loads time now to work out how to start the new desktop (KDE3.4) - apparently i have to write the file in home folder .xinitrc (or any other file that calls the 'X' interface) - I had a look and no files with that name appear on my home folder, however i found an .xinitrc somewhere else (/etc/X11/xinitrc) and i dont know what exactly refers to the 'X'

I also had a look at the documentation and it says that it works fine too if i write a file called xinitrc and edit with just a line: 'startkde' - I did that and still doesnt work so probably that file .xinitrc (or any other) exist somewhere on my slack10 and I dont know how to write it

if anyone out there knows what i'm talking about ... suggestions are very welcome

thanx
    Zen

Linux Engineer
    When I upgraded to 3.4, the first reboot didn't show anything as well. After a bit of head scratching, I typed:

Code:
    updatedb
    Everything worked after that.
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

Linux Newbie
    When I upgraded to 3.4, the first reboot didn't show anything as well. After a bit of head scratching, I typed:

Code:

updatedb

Everything worked after that.
    i wish it would have been as easy for me too cos i have been scratching my head now for quite a while - anyway, updatedb was one of the first things that I did still with no much luck

taking a look at the documentation I found that I should have added the binary installation folder to my path and so I 'echo &PATH' to find that out and this is what my path looks like now:

/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/games:/opt/www/htdig/bin:/usr/lib/java/bin:/usr/lib/java/jre/bin:/opt/kde/bin:/usr/lib/qt/bin:/usr/share/texmf/bin:.

the binary file was in fact in /usr/local/kde3.4/bin - so how do i add that to my path?
    Zen

Linux Engineer
    Oh man, I must have been out of it big time yesterday.

NOT updatedb.

Try ldconfig
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

Linux Newbie
    Oh man, I must have been out of it big time yesterday. Laughing

NOT updatedb.

Try ldconfig
    well .... sorry man but out of question,

any other help? pls?

i just reinstalled slack10.1 (current) and launched Konstruct again - apparently the only thing that i have to work out is how to add the binary file of the new KDE3.4 in my path (and I dont know how to do that) and according to the documentation i have to write the 'xinitrc file in the way that anything that calls the Xwindow must be changed into executing 'startkde' (and obviously I have no idea how to do that either, although I opened the .xinitrc file and I really saw nothing that call the Xwindow)

any suggestion ...welcome!
    thanx
    Zen