Find the answer to your Linux question:
Can I just install the first CD, then within slackware upgrade/update the KDE packages? The reason I ask is because I'm running out of blank CD's. . . will I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Just 1st CD Question

Can I just install the first CD, then within slackware upgrade/update the KDE packages? The reason I ask is because I'm running out of blank CD's. . . will I have a barebones KDE package to work within by just installing the 1st CD? Thanks!

Yes, you can just install the first CD, but that leaves out KDE and Gnome. You still get some of the libraries that other apps need from those two desktops, but you don't get the GUI.

I only installed from the 1st disk, but I use fluxbox as my gui (when I am needing a gui). Most of the time I am just using the command line anymore as it is a webserver.

So, to answer that last question, no, you will not have a "KDE" barebones package to work with, but you will have a choice of 5-6 lightweight windows managers to work with...if you really want KDE, I would buck up and use an extra CD:)
    Join the Open Source Revolution. Support GNU/Linux.

Find me at: www.deeksworld.com
    Registered GNU/Linux User #395777

Just Joined!
    Thanks.