Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I installed the acrobat reader from adobe's website by downloading the .rpm and converting it with rpm2tgz, then using installpkg. The problem is I don't know how to run ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

where's acrobat? hopefully an easy question...

Hi,
    I installed the acrobat reader from adobe's website by downloading the .rpm and converting it with rpm2tgz, then using installpkg. The problem is I don't know how to run the program now! I have no idea where to look for the executable or even what it's called! anybody able to help?

Since you used installpkg, you will be able to go to /var/log/packages and find a text file of the package you installed (likely something with adobe and some version numbers). If you open that file up in your favorite editor, it will tell you where all the files were installed to. You will probably be able to find the executable somewhere near the top of the file and likely in a /bin directory.
    Join the Open Source Revolution. Support GNU/Linux.

Find me at: www.deeksworld.com
    Registered GNU/Linux User #395777

Just Joined!
    acroread

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    thanks for your answers, but the first method showed that the rpm2pkg tool didn't work cos the file installed nothing!

Why don't you just download the source for adobe reader from http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html (select linux(.tar.gz) from the platform menu).

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

But there are some open source programs who can read PDF files as well. XPDF. KPDF are some examples. IIRC you'll need to install ghostscript. Those programs are on the Slackware cd in slackware package format. Use pkgtool to install these.
    I\'m so tired .....

Quote Originally Posted by dylunio
    Why don't you just download the source for adobe reader from http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html (select linux(.tar.gz) from the platform menu).

dylunio
    Are you sure that this is source? I thought Adobe's acrobat reader was free but closed-source?
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Quote Originally Posted by psic
    Quote Originally Posted by dylunio

dylunio
    Are you sure that this is source? I thought Adobe's acrobat reader was free but closed-source?
    Err, yeah it may not be the source, it may be a binary, but it should be easier to install on slack than converting a rpm.

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

I think it is a binary installer.
    I\'m so tired .....