Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was wondering, so I upgrade my kernel, lets just say from .29 to .30, using slackware's slackpkg or something similiar to update. Then, I would like to use a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Updating slackware kernels and using slackware images

I was wondering, so I upgrade my kernel, lets just say from .29 to .30, using slackware's slackpkg or something similiar to update. Then, I would like to use a precompiled slackware image, since I struggle to make a useful kernel on my own, and require the raid.s image in the first place. How can I install the update kernel images? (I know there should be a way because I find the updated images in mirrors)
    Registered Linux user #390336

Linux Engineer
    Essentially you would just do `installpkg foo-kernel' and then edit /etc/lilo.conf, adding a new entry that mimics the first, but with a different version number. Then you run /sbin/lilo with root privileges, and reboot. That should be about all.

Linux Newbie
    This is how I updated my kernel..

I grabbed the latest plain image from slackware-current, the new headers, modules, alsa, etc. installpkg all the new packages (don't upgradepkg, makes things annoying if something goes wrong). Copy the old system.map, config, and vmlinuz to have -2.4.29 on the end, and then replace them with the 2.4.30 from slackware-current. Edit /etc/lilo.conf to add the 2.4.29 kernel in case something goes bad, and then run /sbin/lilo. Reboot, and it should all work fine. If it does, you can remove the 2.4.29 kernel, lilo.conf entry, and the old alsa, modules, and headers packages.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close