Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to get the sound running on my Emachine T3092 tower . this is "lspci"'s description of the chipset Code: 00:05.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation nForce MultiMedia ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

linux sound on built in nVidia

I am trying to get the sound running on my Emachine T3092 tower .
    this is "lspci"'s description of the chipset

Code:
    00:05.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation nForce MultiMedia audio [Via VT82    686B] (rev a2)
    00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 AC97 Audio Controler (MCP     (rev a1)
    Alsa detects the chpset and says to use the Intel8x0 driver.
    However, whenever I boot Linux, under the sound startup it gives the following error

Code:
     (where the driver is) Init_module: No such device
    Then it says

Code:
     Hint: Insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters
    thanks for any help
    Ekim

Just Joined!
    Hey -- Did you ever get your sound problem figured out? I'm experiencing the exact same thing with an eMachine T3096 but I'm using PCLinuxOS. I've installed the nVidia drivers which doesn't seem to help either. I've found that the sound works perfectly when booting this machine off a Knoppix livecd ... What gives???

If you've got it working, please tell me how!!!

Thanks.

Linux Engineer
    here's a page about compiling your specific module for your card coutesy of alsa matrix

Your Guide
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Wow, quick reply!

Thanks and I'll give this a try as soon as I get a chance. Will post back here with results.

Just Joined!

I give up!

OK. I tried the procedure at the ALSA Matrix site and either I have no idea what I'm doing or the instructions aren't very clear ... And here I thought I wasn't such a Linux newb! Even though I've been using Linux for 4-5 years now, I guess there's still much to learn ...

I'm going to try Ubuntu on this machine or maybe go with Knoppix since I know the sound works. Also, I should mention that I've had Fedora Core 2 on this machine and no problems with sound there either. Maybe it's just PCLinuxOS ... ?

Thanks.