Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Just installed Slackware 10.1. The full install, from CD. I log in, run startx and get the x startup stuff, then a black screen. I'm new, so where can I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

startx gets a black screen and hangs.

Just installed Slackware 10.1. The full install, from CD. I log in, run startx and get the x startup stuff, then a black screen. I'm new, so where can I go from here?
    'Linux is like a swiss army knife. Yet it never gets that "I'm bloated and need suspenders" feeling.' - www.arkaoss.com

Linux Engineer
    No errors? If you get a blank screen it's because X has not been properly configured. Try doing so with xorg-config, as root.
    serzsite.com.ar
    "All the drugs in this world won\'t save you from yourself"

Linux Newbie

That command is not found

xorg-config is not found.
    'Linux is like a swiss army knife. Yet it never gets that "I'm bloated and need suspenders" feeling.' - www.arkaoss.com

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    The command is xorgconfig, without the -
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

use xorgsetup instead, it doesn't have options that can be harmfull to your hardware like refresh ranges and video memory size

Linux Newbie
    Did xorgsetup, it did a backup of my xorg.config, ran through some x startup, and black screen again. I'm going to look in the config file, but any other ideas?

This black screen you get, no errors or anything?
    Does the mouse pointer show up?
    If you have a mouse pointer, what happens when you click it?
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Linux Newbie
    Nothing shows up, no mouse pointer, no errors, nothing. I click, nothing. I hit Ctrl-Alt-Del, it goes through the shutdown process (I assume) stilll see nothing, but it does something, can hear the hard drive working... then it reboots.

Linux Engineer
    hit ctl-alt-f1 and post the text that shows up in the terminal, then we'll get you on track. Might be a problem with vertical and horizontal syns with the monitor, slack doesn't really autodetect very well and you may have to manually setup your /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Just Joined!
    When the screen blacks out you can use ctrl+alt+backspace to kill the X-server.

What I did, was boot up in W2K and check my monitor for the Hsync & Vsync settings that it was using for the particular resolution that I wanted. Then I booted back into Slackware and manually entered the values in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. After that it seemed to work fine.

I know getting your X settings can be frustrating but stick with it. You'll eventually get it and you will learn a lot in the process. Right now, I am fighting an X issue after switching to the 2.6.11 kernel. The settings work fine in 2.4.29, but not in the 2.6 kernel??????

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast