Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
hello folks, just been through the scary process of upgrading to the new linux kernel2.6 - everything seemd fine (building the kernel, make module and make install) .... copied the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

lilo and linux kernel2.6

hello folks,

just been through the scary process of upgrading to the new linux kernel2.6 - everything seemd fine (building the kernel, make module and make install) .... copied the necessary files fo my /boot I also upgraded the /etc/lilo.conf but when i execute lilo it got this message :

Fatal: Kernel /home/professor/software/kernel2.6/linux-2.6.11.11/vmlinux is too big

by the way I found that maybe older version of lilo 'i.e.lilo18 or older' dont support big zimage but my package is lilo-22.5

anyone who had already upgradede to the new kernel2.6? any idea?

thanx

p.s. this is what my /etc/lilo.conf lok like now:

image = /home/professor/software/kernel2.6/linux-2.6.11.11/vmlinux
    root = /dev/hda5
    label = slack10.1
    read-only # Non-UMSDOS filesystems should be mounted read-only for checking
    If you get on the wrong train all the stations you will come to will be the wrong stations.
    Zen

Linux Engineer
    how big is your boot partition, if you have a smaller one, mine for example is only 32mb, then you may not have enough room for many kernels. Find out and you may need to erase the old one from the boot partition so that the new one will fit, make sure you have a boot disk incase this borks though
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Just Joined!
    Have you tried:
    Code:
    #make install
    That should create a compressed image if your vmlinux (vmlinuz) and place it in the root (/) directlry. You can then edit the lilo.conf file to point to it. Here is what mine looks like:

Code:
    # LILO configuration file
    #
    # Start LILO global section
    lba32 # Allow booting past 1024th cylinder with a recent BIOS
    boot = /dev/hda
    #compact # faster, but won't work on all systems.
    prompt
    append = "resume=/dev/hda2"
    timeout = 50
    # VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x32k
    vga = 790

# Linux bootable partition config begins
    image = /vmlinuz
    root = /dev/hda1
    label = Linux
    # Linux bootable partition config ends

# Linux bootable partition config begins
    image = /boot/vmlinuz
    root = /dev/hda1
    label = Linux_old
    # Linux bootable partition config ends

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    vmlinux is not the correct file I think, the zipped kernel is in
    /kernel/source/arch/i386/boot/bzImage . Use that one and specify it in your lilo.conf.
    I\'m so tired .....

Linux Newbie
    thank you all for your suggestions - will give it a try
    If you get on the wrong train all the stations you will come to will be the wrong stations.
    Zen

Linux Newbie
    well.... guys thanx a lot but, as usual with my luck, nothing worked and linux wont boot anymore which means that I'll have to reinstall everything and "maybe" try again another time (maybe when I got more time off UNI) - at the moment wish me luck with the whole installation again, ... and thank you ALL
    Zen

Linux Newbie

Re: lilo and linux kernel2.6

Quote Originally Posted by operator
    by the way I found that maybe older version of lilo 'i.e.lilo18 or older' dont support big zimage but my package is lilo-22.5

anyone who had already upgradede to the new kernel2.6? any idea?

image = /home/professor/software/kernel2.6/linux-2.6.11.11/vmlinux
    root = /dev/hda5
    label = slack10.1

did you compile the image to "vmlinux" or "bzImage"? If you compiled it to "bzImage" in that dir...then you are pointing lilo to the wrong file...lilo probably found a file/symlink for "vmlinux" which is hideously too big.

change the lilo entry to reflect whatever you compiled your kernel in.

and i upgraded to 2.6.11.11 on my busted ass gateway laptop and it works fine...and am running the same ver of lilo, so i don't think it's an incompatibility....i think it's a misconfiguration.

and you can still save that install bro...first disk of the install set into the drive, and follow the first screen of instructions you can see on the screen once it boots of CD...

you can plop it into a kernel and log in as root to fix that botched config! it's not all lost yet.

Linux Newbie
    thanx buddy, i'll give it a go right now!
    Zen

Linux Newbie
    did you compile the image to "vmlinux" or "bzImage"? If you compiled it to "bzImage" in that dir...then you are pointing lilo to the wrong file...lilo probably found a file/symlink for "vmlinux" which is hideously too big.

change the lilo entry to reflect whatever you compiled your kernel in.

and i upgraded to 2.6.11.11 on my busted ass gateway laptop and it works fine..
    I compiled the new kernel to bzImage in that exact directory you saw in my lilo.conf but i cant find any such file in the entire directory - and that's exactly the reason why I added 'vmlinux' in my lilo (cos I couldnt find 'bzImage') - the only 'bzImage' file that i can find on my /dev/had is on /boot but when i tried to point on it slack did not boot and it gave a kernel panic error message

any idea on what/where i can point my lilo to?
    Zen

Linux Newbie
    sorry quick correction - I found a bzImage on the directory to which I compiled and built the kernel but when i point lilo.conf to that I get this error message:

Unrecognized token "bzImage" at or above line 36 in file '/etc/lilo.conf'

other than that still on standby,
    Zen

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast