Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am running Slackware 10.1 on my server. I am using a 3Com 3C905C network card to connect to the internet. The problem I have is that the server will ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problem using 3Com 3C905C Ethernet card

I am running Slackware 10.1 on my server. I am using a 3Com 3C905C network card to connect to the internet. The problem I have is that the server will not recognize or configure my network card. I have researched my problem thoroughly on the internet, but to no avail. I have tried using netconfig, modprobe 3c59x, downloading drivers from the 3Com site, but nothing has worked. If you know any magic tricks or websites to try, please let me know. I would like to get my server up and running quickly, so I can continue working. Thanks!

Just Joined!
    Did you compile the driver as a module or as part of the kernel?
    Does the card come up but you get no connection? or
    Does the card not come up at all?
    can you dump the output of
    Code:
    lspci

Just need some more data...

Just Joined!

More info

I compiled the driver as a module.
    When I type ifconfig, it only displays the loopback connection.
    It would not be convenient for me to re-type the entire output lspci, but here is something that I would consider relevant:

02:09.0 Ethernet Controller: 3Com Corporation 3C905C-TX/TX-M [Tornado] (rev 78)
    02:0a.0 Ethernet Controller: 3Com Corporation 3C905C-TX/TX-M [Tornado] (rev 6c)
    By the way: there are two network cards in my computer, one of which I assumed did not work. There is an ethernet cord plugged in to the second of the two, but not the first. I'm not sure what brand/model of card the first ethernet card is. Hopefully this helped.

Edit:
    Here's an interesting twist: I tried netconfig once more, just for jollies, and it gave me a different message than I'd gotten before. This might be causing problems too:
    You do not seem to have TCP/IP installed, so all I can really
    set up for you is your hostname/domainname. This won't mean
    much since you're not on the network, but it will let you have
    the hostname you prefer shown at the login prompt.

Just Joined!

ACK!

Ack! I don't know what I did, except unplugging and re-plugging and running netconfig. Now my internet works, Thanks for your help! Maybe this will help someone some day...

Just Joined!

Re: ACK!

Quote Originally Posted by programmindude12
    Ack! I don't know what I did, except unplugging and re-plugging and running netconfig. Now my internet works, Thanks for your help! Maybe this will help someone some day...
    You don't have TCP/IP installed.

TCP/IP = Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) is the basic communication protocol of the Internet. It can also be used as a communications protocol in a private network.

You need this for any type of internet capabilities. No questions asked, you need this. I have the same card as you and it works fine under Slack (versions 9.1, 10.0, and 10.1).