Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, read my signature for system specs. I just installed Slackware 10.1 on a new partition on my hard drive, got the nVidia Graphics Drivers to install flawlessly and I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I'm a noob...

Ok, read my signature for system specs. I just installed Slackware 10.1 on a new partition on my hard drive, got the nVidia Graphics Drivers to install flawlessly and I am having trouble installing the system drivers to allow audio.

#1 No precompiled interface was found to match your kernel; this means that the installer will need to compile a new kernel interface. <ok>

#2 Error: Unable to load the kernel module 'nvsound.o'. This is most likely because the kernel module was built using the wrong kernel source files for your kernel; on Red Hat Linux systems, for example, be sure you have the 'kernel-source' rpm installed. If you know the correct kernel source files are installed, you may specify the kernel source path with the '--kernel-source-path' commandline option. <ok>

#3 Error: Installation of the audio driver has failed. Please see the file '/var/log/nvidia-nforce-installer.log' for details. You may find suggestions on fixing installation problems in the readme available on the Linux driver download page at www.nvidia.com. <ok>

I just need to figure it out.

Another issue is that I have tried to run Kopete and can't get MSN Messenger to recognize my password, keeps saying incorrect password.

Any help would be great, thanks.

Linux Newbie

Re: I'm a noob...

Sorry dont know about the nvidia problem, just make sure you have all kernel packages installed (source especially, this hit me on nvidia install once too) Use slackpkg as root and install any of these that you might have missed during install from the cd. As for this:
    Quote Originally Posted by lonestarss
    Another issue is that I have tried to run Kopete and can't get MSN Messenger to recognize my password, keeps saying incorrect password.
    I've had the same thing, try amsn instead, though if you go to kde's website I believe there is an update that fixes this.
    Registered Linux user #390336

Just Joined!
    I'm so new to this, I don't know if I installed the correct packages or not, I did a full install, so I put everything that was on the 2 discs on this. How do I add packages, and where can I find a package.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    When you did full install did you pick everything (including k)? Im pretty sure that you can just select things like a, ap, kde, x, and so on and then do the full install. K is kernel source, be sure you have it by (as root) use the program pkgtool by typing "pkgtool" in a console, you will find where to go from there, you want to "view" and be sure you have it!

Just Joined!
    Well my friend helped my install linux, I installed every package except GNOME and International Language pkgs. I'll try pkgtool, do I do that in X or in konsole?

Linux Newbie
    No I dont think you need to use pkgtool if you have it installed.. try reinstalling it maybe? But im not sure, it just looks like the kernel source or headers are missing? Be sure you have the right driver.

Just Joined!
    I have partially fixed the sound issue, I went to the ALSA website and downloaded all the drivers/libraries/utilities for intel8x0 my audio chipset and card are now recognized, opened alsamixer and viola, I can hear music.

Now for my next complaint, I only have 2 channels for audio, my front out, but at least I have made progress.

Not too bad for a noob!