Find the answer to your Linux question:
The install finished fine. Had to re-install to replace my grub MBR that was left over from SuSe. Booting goes well until after freeing unused kernel memory. Then I get ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

kernel panic with 10.1 install on laptop

The install finished fine.
    Had to re-install to replace my grub MBR that was left over from SuSe.

Booting goes well until after freeing unused kernel memory. Then I get the following:

Code:
    Warning: unable to open an initial console.
    Kernel panic: No init found.  Try passing init= option to kernel.
    What do I do to get past this?

Just Joined!
    Bump.

A whopping five people have viewed other than me.
    No takers yet though.

I'm gonna' run the install one more time and see where that gets me.

Just Joined!
    I've run the installer several more times. I still get the same kernel panic.

Still no takers?

Linux Engineer
    hmm, looks like it can't start a runlevel (hypothesis?). Do you have a /etc/inittab fle? And if so, what is you runlevel set to?
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Linux Guru
    (I think the forum rules suggest at least 24 hours before bumping a post. You may come to notice that traffic is lighter at some times than others. Next time you have a real emergency, try to have it between around 8:am-2m weekdays.)

What's in your grub.conf or lilo.conf boot script? The kernel, which appears to load okay, is in the /boot directory. The kernel expects to find the file /sbin/init. If you have a separate /boot partition, then you need to pass a parameter to the kernel something like 'root=/dev/hda3' so /sbin/init can be found (I'd put it in even without a separate partition). If you use an initrd, if it is not entered correctly in the boot script (that is: if it's location is not correctly entered) then you will get a kernel panic. If you need more help, you should explain how your drives and partitions are setup (along with your bootloader configuration).
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!
    I re-went through the installation and used the expert lilo setup. So at least it boots like a charm now. Still having some issues though.

normal user mounting of drives and network.

How much I'd love slackware if only the network connection were more dependable.

Just Joined!
    normal user mounting of drives is easy enough. just add a "user" option in the fstab line of the drive or device you want to mount. as for network issues, ive never really had any big ones with slackware. if your on a lan, just boot with the cable connected and it should all work fine. if not, please post your dmesg output.