Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Awesome, thanks psic. Yes, I did indeed miss that page. Frugalware look pretty attractive at a glance. Seems I check out all the other "good" ones. Thanks again for the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Awesome, thanks psic. Yes, I did indeed miss that page.

Frugalware look pretty attractive at a glance. Seems I check out all the other "good" ones. Thanks again for the link.

Frugalware Home Page: http://frugalware.org/

Seems to be a "rising star" as it's v0.2 and already getting good reviews.
    Some reviews (in case any here are curious as I):

os.newsforge.com or distrocenter.linux.com (same review)
    linuxquestions.org (short user review, a couple of screenies)
    distrotalk.net
    distrowatch.com (scroll down past Gentoo review, 1 screenshot)

DrCR

A new one came out a bit ago. It's called Slamd64 I believe and it's Slack that's made to run on 64 bit processors.
    Registered Linux user #393103

oz
    forum.guy
    Rubix Linux is another interesting Slackware fork:

http://www.rubix-os.org/

It's package manager is pacman, as used by Arch Linux.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by George Harrison
    A new one came out a bit ago. It's called Slamd64 I believe and it's Slack that's made to run on 64 bit processors.
    http://www.slamd64.com/
    "Slamd64 is an unofficial port of Slackware Linux to the x86_64 architecture; despite the name containing AMD64, Slamd64 should work both on K8 (AMD64) and EM64T (some Intel) processors."

Quote Originally Posted by Ozar
    Rubix Linux is another interesting Slackware fork:
    http://www.rubix-os.org/
    It's package manager is pacman, as used by Arch Linux.
    Yeah, frugalware is using pacman as well. Intersting that there are two bascially brandnew SW-based distros going the pacman route.

DrCR

Linux User
    Why searching for Slackware based distros when you have Slackware. I have to say that Slackware was my first distro and the best one for me.

P.S Arch is also a great distro
    Linux registered user #358842
    Human knowledge belongs to the world.

Linux Engineer
    And Minislack developers are planning an AMD64 version of the OS

it's getting crowded!
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Linux Newbie
    Well, I don't know how SW10.1 is compared to 10.0 (my first distro ), but I wasn't too crazy about having to mess with the number of config files needed to get things going, as well as my internet didn't work "right of the box" i.e. right after installation.

Maybe it was just because that was my first taste with Linux, which the exception of some Knoppix v3.4 action, and I didn't sufficently know what I was doing, but I've never had any network issues of anyother distro I've tried so far, and I just like not having to mess with the OS so much.

I guess you could say I want a, hum, I guess you could say more noob friendly version, no, more quick to setup version of SW that would still give me all the pros of SW and readily allow me to "get my hands dirty" in the recesses of the OS too. I've settled with VectorLinux as my main distro for now.

I guess you could say I'm the type of guy would be more interested in playing with VidaLinux (similar to Gentoo stage3) rather than going through the hassle (to me) of Gentoo stage1 or 2.

I feel VectorLinux is giving me a good mix of purist ideals conciseness speed etc. and wise time management.

DrCR

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by borromini
    And Minislack developers are planning an AMD64 version of the OS. it's getting crowded!
    Ah, the wonderful world of Linux.

Personally I think part of the reason Linux isn't just totally dominating the *Desktop* env. is because the work being done is not being done as efficiently or wisely as could be. Different groups doing the same thing while another area is lacking is one of the biggest flaws of the opensource community.

[dones flamesuit just in case...] lol

Linux Engineer
    Don't know about that... I didn't find Linux to be less stable than my Xp till now (except those freaking Fedora Cores then). I think the fact linux & OSS in general have more dedicated communities compensates for the myriad of distro's . And franky I don't mind... Diversity is always good. The base, basicly, is always the same - same kernels, hardware detection systems, filesystems, printer & scanner setup... and you don't get the crap the hardware companies deliver with their drivers (recent hp printer drivers for example).
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Linux Newbie
    Oh, I'm not talking about the stability or efficiency of the code written, just that there a multiple apps for some tasks and no apps for others. Yeah, very true, at its core Linux is all the same.

And yes, diversity is good too. I've heard the secret to actually using Linux instead of WinOS is finding "your" distro. I would concure with this idea. I didn't more than just play with Linux until I started using VectorLinux. I'm finding I'm using VL much more often that WinOS now.

p.s. Know what you mean about HP...I just recently had to setup a HP scanner and the 'driver' download was one of those all-in-one package deals. I think the file size was ~200MB IIRC!

DrCR

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast