Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Basically the only distros I've really liked have been Slackware based. Is there a list somewhere of all the Slackware-based distros? What other Slackware-based distros am I missing? Thanks, DrCR ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Different Slackware "Flavors." MiniSlack, Vector, Slax, whatelse?

Basically the only distros I've really liked have been Slackware based. Is there a list somewhere of all the Slackware-based distros? What other Slackware-based distros am I missing?

Thanks,
    DrCR

Question Background:

First babbled with Linux ~ spring '04. The first disto I got around to trying out (besides checking out Knoppix 2.4), after a good bit of thought, was Slackware10, despite none of my Linux peers were using it.

Both loved it and (sort of) disliked it. I was a great first distro for me to learn on, but some things like having to setup my monitor res and refresh and such kind of annoyed me. I guess I was expecting a little more from Linux (which I eventually found). I never did get around to setting up networking and therefore no internet. The result was that it was not frequently used.

Fastforward to Christmas break... After trying a few other distros, but never finding anything I really liked (Ubuntu is too slow for me), I then discovered Vector Linux, remembering a friend of mine mentioning it long ago before I got into Linux as a distro I should check out and learn on (The same reason I first chose SW).

I'm playing with MiniSlack now too - awesome how much progress Xfce has made since just a year ago. Liking Slax as well and planning on installing SW v10.1 shortly to see what all has changed.

Basically the only distros I've really liked have been Slackware based, and so my question is provoked.

Banned
    DrCR, your comment underneath is way to big man!

Banned
    http://distrowatch.com/
    take a look throught there
    but otherwise not too sure

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    I would suggest your comments are too small, as I already know of distrowatch. i.e. you didn't help me at all and if you did not comment, I would in no way have been deprived.

But, yes, I had nothing going on at work at the time of posting and I babbled somewhat lol.

There is ZIPSlack.
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Linux Newbie
    Perfect, just the kind of responce I'm looking for.

How familiar are you with ZipSlack? Did I read that right, you install it on top of your WinOS partition?! Never heard of that before. Doubt it would work with NTFS?

Seems to be a dead distro...?

Quote Originally Posted by DrCR
    How familiar are you with ZipSlack? Did I read that right, you install it on top of your WinOS partition?! Never heard of that before. Doubt it would work with NTFS?

Seems to be a dead distro...?
    I'm afraid I've never used it, it got an ok review in a recent issue of linuxformat. I'm not sure if you can install it on top of a WinOS partition (as in install it ans still have Win), but you can install in on amy fat/fat32 drive, be it zipdisk or a hard drive partition.
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Linux Newbie
    This means that you do not need to repartition your hard disk if you already have DOS or Windows installed.
    :shrug:

I'll have to see if I can hunt down that linuxformat article somewheres online. Thanks for the info.

DrCR

Linux Newbie
    Joe "Zonker" Brockmeier - December 2002

ZipSlack

Not quite sure whether you're ready to delve into Linux? If you have a Windows machine, you can install ZipSlack into a FAT or FAT32 filesystem. There are two versions of ZipSlack now, the minimal ZipSlack system and BigSlack, which contains much more software than ZipSlack. You'll need about 850 MB of space to use ZipSlack.

I don't recommend using ZipSlack or BigSlack as a permanent solution. They'll be a bit slower than the standard Slackware distro installed onto a native Linux partition with a standalone swap partition. The good news is that you can move a ZipSlack install to a native partition. If you try Linux and decide you really like it, you can simply migrate your existing install to a new partition without re-installing.

http://gus-br.linuxmag.com.br/pt/art...-dez-2002.html

BigSlack

“BigSlack” is a special version of Slackware Linux. It\'s an already installed copy of Slackware that\'s ready to run from your DOS or Windows partition.

BigSlack gets its name from the form it\'s distributed in, a big .Big file. Users of DOS and Windows will probably be familiar with these files. They are compressed archives. The BigSlack archive contains everything you need to get up and running with Slackware.

It is important to note that BigSlack are significantly different than a regular installation. Even though they function the same and contain the same programs, their intended audiences and functions differ. Several advantages and disadvantages of BigSlack are discussed below.
    Advantages

* Does not require repartitioning of your hard disk.
    * Great way to learn Slackware Linux without stumbling through the installation process.

Disadvantages

* Uses the DOS filesystem, which is slower than a native Linux filesystem.
    * Will not work with Windows NT.

http://www.edmunds-enterprises.com/l...dtl/product/49

They both seem to be inactive "distros".

You might have checked distrowatch, but did you find this:
    http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=independence
    Down in the middle of the page you have 29 slack-based distros.
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast