Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just upgraded gnome and half of my icons are "X's". When I started gedit in terminal I get this: (gedit:21400): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager: Authentication Rejected, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Icons Not Showing.

I just upgraded gnome and half of my icons are "X's". When I started gedit in terminal I get this:

(gedit:21400): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:
    Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed.

(gedit:21400): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading icon: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/share/icons/Amaranth/scalable/stock/stock_new.svg'

(gedit:21400): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading icon: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/share/icons/Amaranth/scalable/stock/stock_open.svg'

(gedit:21400): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading icon: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/share/icons/Amaranth/scalable/stock/stock_floppy.svg'
    (gedit:21400): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading icon: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/share/icons/Amaranth/scalable/stock/stock_print.svg'

(gedit:21400): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading icon: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/share/icons/Amaranth/scalable/stock/stock_undo.svg'

(gedit:21400): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading icon: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/share/icons/Amaranth/scalable/stock/stock_redo.svg'

(gedit:21400): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading icon: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/share/icons/Amaranth/scalable/stock/stock_cut.svg'

(gedit:21400): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading icon: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/share/icons/Amaranth/scalable/stock/stock_copy.svg'

(gedit:21400): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading icon: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/share/icons/Amaranth/scalable/stock/stock_paste.svg'

(gedit:21400): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading icon: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/share/icons/Amaranth/scalable/stock/stock_search.svg'
    (gedit:21400): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading icon: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/share/icons/Amaranth/scalable/stock/stock_replace.svg'
    root@Force:/home/ircd/Unreal/Config# gedit ircd.motd

(gedit:21405): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:
    Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed.

(gedit:21405): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading icon: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/share/icons/Amaranth/scalable/stock/stock_new.svg'

(gedit:21405): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading icon: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/share/icons/Amaranth/scalable/stock/stock_open.svg'

(gedit:21405): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading icon: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/share/icons/Amaranth/scalable/stock/stock_floppy.svg'
    (gedit:21405): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading icon: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/share/icons/Amaranth/scalable/stock/stock_print.svg'

(gedit:21405): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading icon: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/share/icons/Amaranth/scalable/stock/stock_undo.svg'

(gedit:21405): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading icon: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/share/icons/Amaranth/scalable/stock/stock_redo.svg'

(gedit:21405): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading icon: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/share/icons/Amaranth/scalable/stock/stock_cut.svg'

(gedit:21405): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading icon: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/share/icons/Amaranth/scalable/stock/stock_copy.svg'

(gedit:21405): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading icon: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/share/icons/Amaranth/scalable/stock/stock_paste.svg'

(gedit:21405): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading icon: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/share/icons/Amaranth/scalable/stock/stock_search.svg'
    (gedit:21405): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading icon: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/share/icons/Amaranth/scalable/stock/stock_replace.svg'

Slack 10.1 any ideas?

try to run nautilus from the cl
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Just Joined!
    I didnt make myself clear, sorry. All programs work fine. The problem is all icons are missing from them. Such as the main start menu is all X's, gedit was just an example. And nautilus runs fine no errors through cl.

Quote Originally Posted by rub3x
    I didnt make myself clear, sorry. All programs work fine. The problem is all icons are missing from them. Such as the main start menu is all X's, gedit was just an example. And nautilus runs fine no errors through cl.
    yeah I have had the problem before (it was like 8 months ago so I forget actually how I solved it). However, the solution was to run something from the cl. hmmm.....
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Just Joined!
    Heh. Something to do with GTK perhaps download a new version?

Just Joined!
    Login as root in GDM or KDM... but you have to login as root (or login as the user but in a different DE), you can't su into root for this method. CD into the user home folder... delete .nautilus and then restart. Login as user and you are set to go.

This happens with gnome a lot.

Just Joined!
    Login as root in GDM or KDM... but you have to login as root (or login as the user but in a different DE), you can't su into root for this method. CD into the user home folder... delete .nautilus and then restart. Login as user and you are set to go.

This happens with gnome a lot.
    No go.