Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
OK well i think ive got it too see my ethernet.. on ifconfig eth0 shows up. And i did everything the linux.txt todl me to do. Now I'ver just got ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

OK well i think ive got it too see my ethernet.. on ifconfig eth0 shows up. And i did everything the linux.txt todl me to do. Now I'ver just got to get it to recieve packets.. It wil lsend, but wont recieve. Is there a way to use DHCP???

I think in Slack you could use
    Code:
    /sbin/dhcpcd eth0
    By the way, I was kinda expecting you to need some additional help with the driver installation...good job getting that done by yourself. Good to know I'm not the only stubborn one around here
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatline
    I think in Slack you could use
    Code:
    /sbin/dhcpcd eth0
    By the way, I was kinda expecting you to need some additional help with the driver installation...good job getting that done by yourself. Good to know I'm not the only stubborn one around here
    OK thanks ill brb i mgonig to go lspci and do that DHCP thingie majigger

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

OMG I LOVE YOU!

HOLY CRAP! LINUX!! I'm finally bnrowsing the interweb on linux! I love you man! But the DHCP thing you suggected didnt work for slackware it was /sbin/dchpcd

Am I going to have to run this EVERY time I run linux?? If so, is there an easyer way to do it?? Also I want to install FireFox, how do I do that it Linux?
    also, I have a mouse with a scroll wheel, and everytime I try to use it, it doesnt work. Its the Logitech MX510, How do I get the scrol lwheel to work?
    Whe i try to install firefox it wants to install to wherever the install file is, but i dont want it to, where do i isntall it so it is safe??

Great to hear you're up and running!

Run
    Code:
    netconfig
    and you should be able to set the card to get an address via DHCP.

There are a couple of ways to install firefox on Slack, but the easiest way to install most things is to go to this site and do a search: http://www.linuxpackages.net/

If you install slapt-get, you'll have an interface available via which you can install packages, by the way.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Re: OMG I LOVE YOU!

Quote Originally Posted by DoughNutl337
    I have a mouse with a scroll wheel, and everytime I try to use it, it doesnt work. Its the Logitech MX510, How do I get the scrol lwheel to work?
    If you open up your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file in a terminal with
    Code:
    su
    [rootpass]
    nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    and change the section that is about your mouse to
    Driver "mouse"
    Identifier "Mouse1"
    Option "Buttons" "5"
    Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
    Option "Name" "Autodetection"
    Option "Protocol" "explorerps/2"
    Option "Vendor" "Sysp"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    and then save and ctlr+alt+backspace and it now should work.
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Should have known Dylunio would beat me to posting on the mouse issue

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    Well i went to mozilla.org and downloaded the FireFox Setup isntaller for linux, but in the GUI it wants to install it into the palce where my firefox set up file is which is /root/Desktop/firefox-installer.... Also, I have na ATI card, there are Linux drivers for it no the website, but ive got no lcue how to work them. And how about my mouse?

Dylunio just answered you about your mouse a couple of posts ago. As for installing firefox, it would be simpler for you to just go to www.linuxpackages.net , do a search for firefox, download the package, and run
    Code:
    pkgtool
    to install it.

Sorry, can't really help with the ATI drivers; I'm an nVidia guy.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Regarding the ATI drivers all I can advise it to look through http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/li...4.13-inst.html. As for your mouse view my previous post.
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast