Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
OK, i just installed slackware, but I cant conenct to my wireless network. I have an ethernet to wireless bridge: http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=21 And windows can pick it up right after boot. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Just installed Slack ware. Internet problem.

OK, i just installed slackware, but I cant conenct to my wireless network. I have an ethernet to wireless bridge:

http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=21

And windows can pick it up right after boot. Any ideas on how do get this to work?

This sounds interesting, since I've never used one, but I think I get the concept. Basically, as long as your ethernet device is working properly, it should do the "heavy lifting" for you as far as wireless is concerned, right?

First things first: does Slack recognize your ethernet card? Run
    Code:
    ifconfig
    and post the output, and we'll at least be able to see if it's detected. If it is, and you can ping the bridge, try connecting to it via your favorite web browser and entering your wireless info (SSID, WEP key, etc.).
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatline
    This sounds interesting, since I've never used one, but I think I get the concept. Basically, as long as your ethernet device is working properly, it should do the "heavy lifting" for you as far as wireless is concerned, right?

First things first: does Slack recognize your ethernet card? Run
    Code:
    ifconfig
    and post the output, and we'll at least be able to see if it's detected. If it is, and you can ping the bridge, try connecting to it via your favorite web browser and entering your wireless info (SSID, WEP key, etc.).
    OK hold on, let me switch to linux

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    OK i went to linux and type ifconfig, now this is exaclty what is said:

Bash-3.00# ifconfgi

lo Link encap: Local Loopback
    inet addr: 127.0.0.1 Mask 255.0.0.0
    UP LOOPBACK RNNNING MTU 16436 Metric 1
    Rx Pachets:8 Errors: 0 Dropped: 0 Overruns: 0 Frame: 0
    Tx Packets:8 Errors: 0 Dropped: 0 Overrruns: 0 Carriers: 0
    Collsiions:0 TXqueuelen: 0
    RX Bytes: 648 TX: byte: 648

OK thats not exactly what it said becaus ei had to writ eit all down.. but that is what i saw on screen, i might have mistyped some stuff, but i got what was on screen

Looks like it didn't see your ethernet card; what make and model is it?
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    well according to windows its:

VIA PCI 10/100 Fast Ethernet Adapter, h/o and im going to go check my mobo manual

Just Joined!
    I dunno, i cant find an exact Model.. How can i check this?? This is the motherboard ive got: soyo kt400 dragon

O wait i found this: http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/ch...-series/kt400/

It says the ethernet is VIA MAC 10/100 Ethernet

They have a driver available: http://www.viaarena.com/downloads/dr...517142015).tgz

Strange, though...I thought they used Rhine or RhineII adapters on that board; those should be supported. If you run
    Code:
    lspci
    you should be able to see what chipset you're dealing with.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatline
    They have a driver available: http://www.viaarena.com/downloads/dr...517142015).tgz

Strange, though...I thought they used Rhine or RhineII adapters on that board; those should be supported. If you run
    Code:
    lspci
    you should be able to see what chipset you're dealing with.
    OK and how do install these drivers? (keep in mind, im a CVOMPLETE newb at Linux)

You download that file, unzip it with
    Code:
    tar -xvzf <filename>
    and then follow the instructions in the linux.txt file included to compile the source and load the module.

I would like to see the output of lspci though...if your card is a supported one, you may be able to simply load the module for it and skip via's driver installation entirely (which would be much easier).

Is Slack the first distro you tried? You might want to snoop around a bit and check out some others too. Most people shop around a bit before settling into a distro (note: this is not in any way me discouraging you from using Slack...it's a wonderful distro that I love and it forces you to learn).

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast