Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've come across a network situation where all the computers are on Windows but there is no router. They're all plugged into a huge switch. I think it's some sort ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

linux and windows networking without router

I've come across a network situation where all the computers are on Windows but there is no router. They're all plugged into a huge switch. I think it's some sort of massive point to point, but I don't know how to get my Slack box connected to the network.

Any ideas?

thanks,
    mr.popper

Just Joined!
    Have you tried Internet Connection Sharing in Windows?

Linux Newbie
    save yourlself the time & effort ...(and conincidentally increase the efficiency of the network) buy buying a router.

trust me. the windows networking is crap.

Just Joined!

Re: linux and windows networking without router

Quote Originally Posted by mr.popper
    I've come across a network situation where all the computers are on Windows but there is no router. They're all plugged into a huge switch. I think it's some sort of massive point to point, but I don't know how to get my Slack box connected to the network.

Any ideas?

thanks,
    mr.popper
    Need more info:
    - Are you asking about connecting to the Internet or merely to a local network
    - What is the IP subnet of the network you are trying to connect to (The IP and subnet of any of the Win boxes could answer this question)
    - If they are all connected to a Switch, how do you get out to the Internet?

Just Joined!
    hi

they don't connect to the internet. It's just a little intranet with about twenty-odd computers. I'm not there now, so I'll try to post the subnet and IP scheme when I can

mr.popper

Linux Newbie
    ahh man, don't even bother. FWIW, i would just get a nice little 4 port router w/ a DHCP server built in and plug the linux box into one port and the uplink for the switch into another. You will get more usability out of the $50 bucks that it costs, than you will trying to backdoor a linux box into a windows "proprietary" network.

and you will get NAT, DHCP services, basic firewall, port control, load shaping (if you spend money on it) and all the benefits of just plugging the broadband into the router and being the coolest person in the office to connect it all to the net.

Just Joined!
    it sounds like you have a little windows network set up through netbeui.

if you don't have static ips set up, then all the ips on that network set by default to the 169.254.x.x/255.255.0.0 netmask.

what purpose do you want your linux box to do in this inranet?

if it is to provide a service such as ssh than that is a piece of cake.

if you want it to actually log in to the windows network and access
    any of the shared folders, files, and/or drives then you need to download and install
    samba. I believe that it is included in the slackware cd.

you use the command smbclient to connect to the network. The settings
    need to be set up but i want to verify if this is the issue youre talking about.