Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I'm looking into getting a live cd based upon Slack and I'm stuck between Mini or Slax, opinions are appreciated. Thanks....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Minislack or Slax?

I'm looking into getting a live cd based upon Slack and I'm stuck between Mini or Slax, opinions are appreciated. Thanks.
    Registered Linux user #393103

I'm a SLAX guy, but don't let me choose for you! Download both, and give them both a try, then pick your favourite
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Linux Engineer
    I don't know if there are already minislack-based live cd's available, but if they are, don't miss it . I'm less impartial then dylunio - Minislack truly rocks
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

OK, thanks. I have been doing my homework on both of them through distrowatch and I will admit that I was a bit more impressed with Minislack to tell you the truth (I'm a speed kind of person - not visual and pretty), I'll probably end up trying Mini first just because I'm really limited on bandwith and then later I'll try Slax. Mini sounds like DSL quite a bit though.. I'm wondering if I should do Slax now..

borromini - so Mini is quite fast then? I might just do that :aces floor and tries to make descision::

Linux Engineer
    SInce they're both slackware-based, I think it won't make much difference. I just love the philosophy of 'less is more' that inspires Minislack. And of course the lovely Xfce . If you're gonna run kde, you ain't gonna notice much of a speed increase
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

True, I like a very trim and vanilla system anyway that's fast. Minislack is first up then.

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by George Harrison
    True, I like a very trim and vanilla system anyway that's fast. Minislack is first up then.
    They're both good Live CDs but I prefer Minislack as far as speed is concerned.
    Linux registered user #358842
    Human knowledge belongs to the world.

SLAX is the king, it runs as minimal as you like, and also has xfce and KDE, but boots to command line. Excellent for everything really and ultra fast, Tomas really does a good job here. And keeps to cutting edge. Always seems to me to be one of the true livecd innovators

I haven't had much luck with Slack-based distros (live CD's included), but Slax is very nice. I like the light 'popcorn' version.
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast