Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I have been trying to get JRE running in Firefox on my Slack 10.1 box. I installed everything without too much hassle but when I went to enable it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Remove Symbolic Link

Hi

I have been trying to get JRE running in Firefox on my Slack 10.1 box.

I installed everything without too much hassle but when I went to enable it I inadvertantly put the wrong version in the sym link. As a consequence JRE still does not work.

I have tried to run the command again but all I get is a "file already exists" error.

My question is simply, how do I remove the old sym link so that I can put in the new one ?

Cheers

Bubo
    My Computer Once Beat Me at Chess, but it is No Match for Me at Kickboxing !

Registered Linux User: #417183

Linux Newbie
    Sorry should have included this in the original post:

This is the link as it is now:

Code:
    lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root    66 2005-07-08 13:55 libjavaplugin_oji.so -> /usr/java/j2re.4.2_01/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so
    I believe you can use the "rm" command but I don't want to delete the original file by mistake.

Bubo

Just Joined!
    just make sure you are in, or at least give the full address, of the link file and not the actual file, and rm should work just fine. i have used it this way and rm only removes the link and not the file linked to.

Linux Newbie
    Thanks for that.

It turns out I had got the path wrong anyway.

I installed the software to my /home/Software folder but was trying to link it using /usr/java as per the install instruction, so it would not have worked even if the version number had been correct. Now I have the correct path it all works as it should.

That'll teach me to read things properly before I shout for help !

Just to clarify the process for those who have not done this:

I first downloaded the self extracting binary from :

http://java.com/en/download/help/500...0.xml#download

In my case I have a Software folder in my /home where I dump all my downloads, usually "tar.gz" files which I then install from there and a couple of Firefox extensions. Anyway, you could create a folder in /usr (ie /usr/java) if you wanted to run this globally (I think). I am the only user on my machine so I like everything local.

So, the commands:

Code:
    su -

enter password

cd /home/stu/Software (or /usr/whatever)

chmod a+x  jre-1_5_0_04-linux-i586.bin

./jre-1_5_0_04-linux-i586.bin
    then navigate to the Firefox installation directory. In my case:

Code:
    /usr/lib/firefox

then 

cd plugins

ln -s /home/stu/Software/jre1.5.0_04/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
    or

Code:
    ln -s /usr/java/jre1.5.0_04/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
    depending on your preference.

You should then check that you have java enabled in the firefox preferences, restart firefox to test that it works. You can do this at:

http://java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml

I hope this helps somebody. And if I have made any errors in the above, I am sure someone on the board will correct it for me.

Regards

Bubo