Find the answer to your Linux question:
I installed Slackware 10.1 on my old laptop (Compaq Presario 1245). Everything seemed to go fine until I tried 'startx'. When I type that it gives me the following error. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

StartX problems and installing Dropline Gnome

I installed Slackware 10.1 on my old laptop (Compaq Presario 1245). Everything seemed to go fine until I tried 'startx'. When I type that it gives me the following error.
    Code:
    xauth: error while loading shared libraries:libXmuu.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    xauth: error while loading shared libraries:libXmuu.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    xauth: error while loading shared libraries:libX11.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    I did some checking on Google and found another post, http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...48#post1337348. So I tried some of the commands I saw there. Here are my results:

Code:
    x-configure
    -bash: x-configure: command not found

Code:
    xf86config
    -bash: xf86config: command not found

Code:
    echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    Does nothing

Code:
    locate libXmuu
    /usr/X11R6/lib/libXmuu.so.1.0
    /usr/X11R6/lib/libXmuu.so
    /usr/X11R6/lib/libXmuu.so.1
    /usr/X11R6/lib/libXmuu.a

Well I found a solution on another website. He said to add /usr/X11R6/lib to the /etc/ld.so.conf and then run lbconfig. I did so, but when I ran lbconfig it came back with 'Bus error' after waiting a minute. Then I saw that /usr/X11R6/lib was already in the file, so I opened it up and removed the second entry. Just for kicks I re-ran lbconfig and got the same error. Also I read that I need to use xorgconfig, since I am using Slackware 10.1. When I do that, I get this error:
    Code:
    xorgconfig: error while loading shared libraries: libxkbfile.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    So now I'm thinking, maybe I should (re-)install an X server. Should I do that (and how?), or should I try something else?

I went to http://shilo.is-a-geek.com/dropline6.html. He suggests installing Dropline (I'm thinking about that only because Shilo said it would reinstall an X server.), and gives a few pointer on doing so. But I don't even know how to navigate folders or mount cdrom and floppy drives from the CLI! Also I downloaded the file, and it seems to be rather smaller than I expected (179KB). Does that sound right? I managed to figure out how to get to the floppy drive where I copied the file, but I still don't know how to instal it.

Please help me! I have no idea what to do, and the CLI isn't going to make me a Linux convert! Thank you all!

Well, if the CLI isnt gonna do it for you, slackware probably isnt the best distro to start with, its a little more advanced, and will require a small degree of comfort with the CL. Your going to feel more comfortable with something like SuSE.

With that said. The most likely cause of something like this is a borked install (ie the installation simply missed a few files during the install and you need to do a reinstall) Give that a try,to do that, instert the CD you used to install and reboot.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

I believe the Dropline installer is just an installer and it downloads the files it needs.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Quote Originally Posted by bryansmith
    I believe the Dropline installer is just an installer and it downloads the files it needs.

Bryan
    this is correct.

I would NOT install dropline, I have a feeling it would mess up xorg even more.

I agree with qub333 that it sounds like the install went bad. If you haven't spent much time with configuring slack, I would just re-install it.
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Just Joined!
    Well it's not like I don't want to get comfortable with the command line. I just didn't want to be stuck with it. I'd rather learn the command line at a slightly slower pace is all I was saying. Anyhow I'll just reinstall, as it seems I have no choice. Would you think it would be alright to install Dropline afterwards? Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by thomasfingram
    Well it's not like I don't want to get comfortable with the command line. I just didn't want to be stuck with it. I'd rather learn the command line at a slightly slower pace is all I was saying. Anyhow I'll just reinstall, as it seems I have no choice. Would you think it would be alright to install Dropline afterwards? Thanks for your help!
    be warned that dropline does change main packages, you might try GWARE or Slackbuild

Just Joined!
    I really hate to sound ignorant, but why would I want to choose GWARE or Slackbuild or Dropline or even the 'officaial' Gnome? What do I need to consider before choosing one? And would it be better to not install anything Gnome related from the Slackware cd?

Quote Originally Posted by thomasfingram
    I really hate to sound ignorant, but why would I want to choose GWARE or Slackbuild or Dropline or even the 'officaial' Gnome? What do I need to consider before choosing one? And would it be better to not install anything Gnome related from the Slackware cd?
    What occured was the developer of slackware stopped updating GNOME because it was taking to much time. So basically he stopped at 2.6.... they are now at 2.10. So you can use the GNOME that comes with slackware, it will just be old. The issue with dropline is that they replace the entire X11 system, which shouldn't be necessary. So GWARE and slackbuild provide a less extreme, easy way to get the current GNOME. Yes, you could always install the "offical" GNOME release, but that would be a lot of work.

Or you don't have to install GNOME at all, and use KDE, XFCE4 or whatever you want.

I *don't* think if you are going to use GWARE/slackbuild/dropline you need to install the slackware gnome packages (2.6) but maybe someone elese knows for sure