Find the answer to your Linux question:
slack 10.1 ... xine under fluxbox .... i have libdvdcss and libdvdread and dvd nav .... all installed via pkgool ... everything done acording to standard ... no dice ... ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

DVD help!

slack 10.1 ... xine under fluxbox .... i have libdvdcss and libdvdread and dvd nav .... all installed via pkgool ... everything done acording to standard ... no dice ... any thoughts?

thanks

edit ...i just tried it as root and it works ... is my entry in fstab wrong ...i can read from the drive every other time i have ever mounted a disk...

Linux Enthusiast

Re: DVD help!

Quote Originally Posted by aaron.d
    slack 10.1 ... xine under fluxbox .... i have libdvdcss and libdvdread and dvd nav .... all installed via pkgool ... everything done acording to standard ... no dice ... any thoughts?

thanks

edit ...i just tried it as root and it works ... is my entry in fstab wrong ...i can read from the drive every other time i have ever mounted a disk...
    Could you be more specific? Like any errors or anything you have been getting, , just put 'em on here and we'll see what we can do.

Linux Newbie
    if you su root and it worked, it means that you need to check the userlevel permissions for the login that you were trying it under before.

if you couldn't access the drive under the other name, then yes...fstab is borked up...otherwise, check those permissions.
    Chicks dig giant mechanized war machines

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by LondoJowo
    yes ... i added alll of the above packages with pkgtool as root.
    like i said ...root can play dvds fine now

Quote Originally Posted by onlinebacon

Could you be more specific? Like any errors or anything you have been getting, , just put 'em on here and we'll see what we can do.
    2 of them "source cannot be read. you may not have enough rights for this or there may be no disk in the drive"
    and
    "there is no input plugin available to handle dvd:/, maybe mrl syntax is wrong or file source doesnt exist"

i used to think these were 2 different messages ...but no i think its strictly permissions. But as a normal user i can read the disks in the drive mounted by root just fine ...i just cant mount them myself.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigPhish
    if you su root and it worked, it means that you need to check the userlevel permissions for the login that you were trying it under before.

if you couldn't access the drive under the other name, then yes...fstab is borked up...otherwise, check those permissions.
    sorry im dumb at 6ish in the morn ....how do i do that?

It sounds like you forgot to change the mount options to allow users to be able to use the drive, in fstab find the line that's for your dvd drive and look at the bit that says noauto,owner,ro or something similiar, change owner to user, that should sort it out

Can you listen to audio CDs? can you burn CD/DVD?

One thing you cold look at is that make sure your user is a member of the 'audio' group (this works on ARCH)
    Ubuntu Jaunty :: Arch Linux (current) :: Acer Aspire 1692WMLi

Linux Guru
    Are we talking about DVD films here? You don't mount DVD films at all, as they are accessed and decrypted as a block device.

Quote Originally Posted by Krendoshazin
    It sounds like you forgot to change the mount options to allow users to be able to use the drive, in fstab find the line that's for your dvd drive and look at the bit that says noauto,owner,ro or something similiar, change owner to user, that should sort it out
    that is 'users' not user
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Quote Originally Posted by loft306
    Quote Originally Posted by Krendoshazin
    that is 'users' not user
    user - allows common users to mount the system/device. The user who mounted the device is the only one able to umount the system/device.
    users - allows users to mount and umount any of the devices.