Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by operator hello there i thought of adding something to your topic - has the KDE package anything do with the sound on the new kernel_2.6? - I'm ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by operator

hello there i thought of adding something to your topic - has the KDE package anything do with the sound on the new kernel_2.6? - I'm asking because I have the same problem ... NO sound - I have tried both methods (buil-in and as modules) - if alsa is built-in then 'alsaconfig' won't find any devices; if alsa is selected as modules 'alsaconfig' ... command not found!

I have to say though that all these problems arose after I upgraded the old KDE-3.3 to the newest KDE-3.4.1 - any idea?
    I had a similar problem when upgrading to kde 3.4. I had to completely reinstall the alsa-driver, alsa-lib and alsa-utils to get the sound to work

Linux Newbie
    i also re-install... actually sorry I upgraded the ALSA package (library and utils) to the latest stable ALSA1.0.9 and still I have NO sound!!!!! I need some serious GURU's help here! -

anyone out there?
    If you get on the wrong train all the stations you will come to will be the wrong stations.
    Zen

i also re-install... actually sorry I upgraded the ALSA package (library and utils) to the latest stable ALSA1.0.9 and still I have NO sound!!!!! I need some serious GURU's help here! -

anyone out there?
    what happens when you run alsaconfig?
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

George Harrison wrote:
    Thanks, adrenaline.

Works as a module, playing some Weird Al right now Very Happy

haha, Great anytime
    hello there i thought of adding something to your topic - has the KDE package anything do with the sound on the new kernel_2.6? - I'm asking because I have the same problem ... NO sound - I have tried both methods (buil-in and as modules) - if alsa is built-in then 'alsaconfig' won't find any devices; if alsa is selected as modules 'alsaconfig' ... command not found!

I have to say though that all these problems arose after I upgraded the old KDE-3.3 to the newest KDE-3.4.1 - any idea?
    hmm.. ::rubs chin::

OK, go into devices and make sure that you are adding all of your stuff. I had no idea what I was doing so literally every time I saw Via on a page I would select.

Secondly, I use xfce and Fluxbox a lot, haven't used KDE since the 3.1 I believe. Try this (and I know it's not the principle of the matter but meh): Get XFce, a minimal-ish Destop Environment and see what "alsaconf" does for you. XFce is quite nice, you might be able to make your home there, I do realize that your question points to KDE but I'd like to see if your sound woes still do the same stuff in something other than KDE, like XFce or Flux. Good luck.
    Registered Linux user #393103

Linux Newbie
    when i run 'alsaconf' it finds a "intel8x0 - intel corp. (ICH4) ac'97 Audio Controller (rev 02) - I click OK to that and it modify the /etc/modprobe.conf - after I click 'yes' it says the ALSA driver is configured !!! that's it - the hardware sound system is set to OSS, but i also tried ALSA and autodetect... nothing!

about trying with a different desktop... I havent tried yet but that's an idea, and I'll give it a go as soon as I come back from the bloody place that they call work! lol

in the meantime abig thanks for all help and suggestions!
    If you get on the wrong train all the stations you will come to will be the wrong stations.
    Zen

Linux Newbie
    I also have just realized that my /etc/modules.conf looks like this:

# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
    # --- ALSACONF verion 1.0.8 ---
    alias char-major-116 snd
    alias char-major-14 soundcore
    alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
    alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
    alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
    alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
    alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
    alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
    alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0
    # --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---

which is slightly different from all the other /etc/modules.conf i have seen before - could that be the problem?
    Zen

Linux Guru
    operator, you have at least one other thread running about the sound issue, please continue in that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2