Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
1.) I downloaded E17 (Enlightenment .17) in .tgz form that I found at Linux Packages, but when I do: Code: #installpkg enlightenment-0.17.0_cvs20050628-i486-2adi.tgz it gives me this: Code: Cannot install enlightenment-0.17.0_cvs20050628-i486-2adi.tgz: ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Two questions on Slack help.

1.) I downloaded E17 (Enlightenment .17) in .tgz form that I found at Linux Packages, but when I do:
    Code:
    #installpkg enlightenment-0.17.0_cvs20050628-i486-2adi.tgz
    it gives me this:
    Code:
    Cannot install enlightenment-0.17.0_cvs20050628-i486-2adi.tgz: package does not end in .tgz
    I'm rather new to the installpkg system, but I do know that a .tgz file will work with it and seemingly the package does end in a ".tgz".

2.) I compiled a new kernel last night because I didn't feel like using the dinosaur 2.4.29 default kernel (I think that's it), so I recompiled a bleeding edge one: 2.6.12.2 but now my sound will not work, I have alsa compiled in with the kernel and all but alsaconfig tells me it cannot find any devices, I have searched in the menu config to add my lite-on drives but I cannot find them really, any kernel menuconfig experts here?

Thanks for all the help.
    Registered Linux user #393103

suggestion, if you autotab Enlightenment, sometimes it stops at t.
    double check that isn't happening to you
    make sure before you hit enter after autotab that everything is there

part two, make sure you moduled your sound card.

gl
    Mike
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Hmm.. ok thanks, but the same thing happened to me with the tgz of aim and Firefox.. I'll try autotab but I don't think it's entirely that easy..

Last night I did go into "Sound" and every time I saw Via I selected it, still can't find any devices/drivers alsa says. I'll work some more at it though.

Quote Originally Posted by George Harrison
    Hmm.. ok thanks, but the same thing happened to me with the tgz of aim and Firefox.. I'll try autotab but I don't think it's entirely that easy..

Last night I did go into "Sound" and every time I saw Via I selected it, still can't find any devices/drivers alsa says. I'll work some more at it though.
    don't add it to the kernel add it as a module then after the compile run alsaconfig
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Quote Originally Posted by adrenaline

don't add it to the kernel add it as a module then after the compile run alsaconfig
    I added it all it the kernel directly and now it's running "make". Will this still work, or do I have to go back and make everything a module? Besides that, won't I have to run modprobe for everything I want to work that I made a mod?

On another note, I went back into 2.4 and looked at the menuconfig - everything in there is different and much more in-depth, it doesn't really apply to anything in the 2.6 menuconfig that I have.

the 2.4 is way different I go back sometimes to see what modules are added if I can't find a certain one sometimes it helps sometimes not.
    You won't have to modprobe everything if added as module alsaconf will do that for you.
    rule of thumb if it is filesystem add it to kernel if perif add it as module. hmm I hope that makes sense.
    add your sound and network cards as modules.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Thanks, adrenaline.

Works as a module, playing some Weird Al right now

Thanks, adrenaline.

Works as a module, playing some Weird Al right now
    haha, Great anytime
    -- Linus Torvalds

I have had the package does not end in .tgz issue before..... I think it has always been a problem when it was repackaged as a .tgz by whom ever did it

I would try installing it the old way
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Linux Newbie
    George Harrison wrote:
    Thanks, adrenaline.

Works as a module, playing some Weird Al right now Very Happy

haha, Great anytime
    hello there i thought of adding something to your topic - has the KDE package anything do with the sound on the new kernel_2.6? - I'm asking because I have the same problem ... NO sound - I have tried both methods (buil-in and as modules) - if alsa is built-in then 'alsaconfig' won't find any devices; if alsa is selected as modules 'alsaconfig' ... command not found!

I have to say though that all these problems arose after I upgraded the old KDE-3.3 to the newest KDE-3.4.1 - any idea?
    If you get on the wrong train all the stations you will come to will be the wrong stations.
    Zen

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast