Find the answer to your Linux question:
I must warn up front that I am a complete newcomer to the linux world, sure I've played around with about every live cd I can download and burn (like ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Basic questions about Slaware 10.1

I must warn up front that I am a complete newcomer to the linux world, sure I've played around with about every live cd I can download and burn (like Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Slax, Helix 1.6 (that one has some awesome tools), SuSe 9.2, DSL, ect), and must say I'm very impressed with some of them to say the least, namely slax and Ubuntu (and I guess technically Kubuntu as well since it just has a different desktop manager). Since slax is a lightened version of slackware, and it seemed to work so seamlessly with my configuration (we'll get to that later), I've decided to go with Slackware 10.1.

So my few questions are as follows:
    1. My desktop was designed with gaming in mind 2 years ago, but still can hold it's own against some of today's systems, I had had some trouble with it under windows and thought it might be the OS so I switched to Mandrake 10.1 but similar if not more spaced out problems still persisted. I've narrowed it down to the power supply not being up to snuff for the rig I'm running (it says 400w, but it came with the 20 dollar case), it's either that or my motherboard, ram, video card, and hard drives are bad. But I digress, my first question is this, how will slackware 10.1 run under this configuration:

Shuttle AV49N mobo
    2.4 Ghz P4 533 mHz FSB
    1024 MB DDR 333 (PC2700), yes the mobo supports 3200 but it was expensive when I built the system
    Nvidia FX 5700 w/ tv tuner
    western digital 120 GB HD (Slave, for storage, being left NTFS until I can recover the information I need off of it)
    western digital 20 GB HD (Master, for OS and programs linux formatted, of course)
    Pioneer 16x Dual Layer DVD burner
    Generic 16x DVD reader
    and of course exsessive amounts of colling fans
    all of this is run by the, come with the cheap case, "400w" power supply

I'm looking to get a rosewill 500w PSU, which I'm hoping will solve my voltage related problems. The main area of concern is the video card, will it be able to function at full potential, I found out that doom 3 will run naitive on linux since it doesn't use the proprietary Directx video solution, but rather openGL, so this machine will be playing doom 3 very often, along with Return to Castle Wolfenstein, which ran perfectly maxed out on the system under windows.

2. This may be a superflous question but, does slackware come with any software development tool, like a C++ compiler, I'm trying to learn C++ and it would be really nice if I didn't have to download anything later, aside from the linux patch for doom3.

3. This is a minor concern but, will I still be able to use the TV tuner and Radio tuner functions of the video card?

4. How newb friendly is slackware, it makes no difference, because I am a fast learner, but it'd be good to know if my first foray into true C++ coding will be to do something like change the resolution of my display.

You answers and comments are much appreciated

Yay, my CD's are done, now I can go install the OS, I hear it's alot of commands so I might be refering back here to help with the install.

Linux Newbie
    first things first:

I'm using slack10.1 myself on a less powerful box than yours and it's great to say the least, although a few initial problems upgrading to the new kernel-2.6 (which I highly reccomned to you too) - now to your questions:

1) yes slackware will run just fine on that configuration
    2) yes slackware already runs its own development tools for C++, JAVA, HTML, UML etc ...
    3) yes you may still use your TV and Radio tuner on ur video card, although you need to rebuild the kernel with some chages on the default configuration, i.e. adding modules for video and radio under multimedia in make xconfig
    4) slackware has been made very user-friendly thanx to all developers across the planet, yet remaining one of the most powerful and stable distro as well as retaining its original Linus Torvaldi's kernel.

hope that this is enough to encourage you to use slackware (but in general any linux distro) and wish you good luck with your installation and stuff ......
    If you get on the wrong train all the stations you will come to will be the wrong stations.
    Zen

Just Joined!
    I was a noob when I first tried Slackware. I downloaded the Slack Book, and after a lot of trial and error, I had it running. Now, installing the system is like second nature for me.

As stated, you should be just fine with the hardware you are wanting to run. Understand, that you will only have read access to your NTFS drive from Slackware, and that you will only be able to read it as root (not as a user).

Slackware isn't the easiest distro to install, and it can be scary at first, but don't forget that there is a lot of help available on the net. Remember... Google is your best frined.

Regards,

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    some corrections:

ntfs is now possible to be mounted wit hwrite support thanks to a wine hack:
    http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/

if you just use the regular ntfs driver, you can set it to be visible to any specific
    user or group. I preferably just set the umask to 000 so anyone can read it.

EX:

mount -t ntfs -o umask=000 /dev/xxx /mnt/hd

wahlah.

Linux Newbie
    and furthermore now with the new kernel-2.6 you have smal capabilities to write on NTFS partitions - all you have to do is enabling, either as a built-in or loadable module, the correct NTFS module when compiling, building and installing the new kernel-2.6

I haven't tried it myself yet although I have a NTFS partition on my /dev/hda, but remember that it's a small and new feature in the new kernel so you won't be able to have full writing permission
    If you get on the wrong train all the stations you will come to will be the wrong stations.
    Zen

Linux Newbie
    i compiled it back in 2.6.10 (i think) and have been running it since (including 2.6.11.11) and it has been so far flawlessly handling the NTFS partition i use for scrap space. I'm talkin lots of R/W.... not some stupid partition for mp3s and the like.

i would recccomend it as a kernel build standard item to anyone i know building slack kernels.
    Chicks dig giant mechanized war machines