Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
OK, on my motherboard and I suppose other newer boards, the SATA chip has IDE mode in the bios. I've also learned that bare.i boots my drives so I don't ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Here's more information and possible cause

OK, on my motherboard and I suppose other newer boards, the SATA chip has IDE mode in the bios. I've also learned that bare.i boots my drives so I don't even need sata.i.

In the 2.4 kernel
    Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revsion:7.00BETA!!!!!!
    In the 2.6 kernel
    Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revsion:7.00*ALPHA 2*!!!!!!

This is where the errors start. I reconfigured my 2.6 kernel for Enhanced IDE in both places, removed SCSI support, and tried again. It boots like normal until it hits hits driver and then says it cannot read HD's this large (or whatever the errors said). This is how I noticed it says ALPHA while the 2.4 kernel says BETA.

My kernel hung on tghe ps/2 input that I must have accidently turned on.
    I've also learned that initrd is needed for the 2.6 kernel for my system so that I can tell it -r /dev/hda1, but I figure this wont be needed once the newer E-IDE driver is installed.

Now, how does one get the newest E-IDE driver and build it into the kernel?

Thanks
    John

Just Joined!
    OK, Kernel 2.4 was the last kernel to support onboard SATA chipsets. Looks like we need add-on SATA cards or set the bios to full SATA mode, which then means we wont be able to use our IDE cdroms without an IDE addon card. LOL. Wonder if in full SATA mode it will work and be stable enough to use.... Looks like an addon card is in the future.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by DataWiz
    Hello, this is a VERY COMMON problem with the 2.6.xx kernels. I've searched for many long hours and have found hundreds of users who posted the same exact problem, but no fixes that worked.

Here's some more information. It happens mostly with SATA drives that use an onboard chipset via IDE\SATA dual mode. It is common to Kernel 2.6 and not limited to any linux flavour. All post were for SATA drives except for two who claimed to be using IDE drives.

From what I take of the situation. SATA.i is not compatibel with the 2.6 kernels, or a configuration setting is missing that needs to be set. I will try some more things and check back here for more news. The problem has been going on since 2.6 kernel was tried with SATA drives and onboard controllers from what I can tell.

THANKS
    John
    Heh... I solve today this problem.
    I have Giga MB with SATA raid and emulation SATA -> IDE
    So, I see disk SATA0 as primary slave on IDE
    I was installed XP (it find IDE disk and don't ask me about drivers), then Slack 10.2 with sata.i and 2.4 kernel.

Ok. Under XP and under Slack I see my SATA0 as IDE disk.
    Then I try install 2.6.16
    What I get?
    Of couse... no more emulation, kernel detect SATA0 as /dev/sda and... can't boot, can't mount - becaus /etc/lilo.conf and /etc/fstab have links on /dev/hdb device.

Ok. I boot under test26.s root=/dev/sda3 noinitrd ro nousb
    and try fix configs. Lilo can't write config becaus now didn't find /dev/hdb3. I make /dev/sda for all boot and...

... of couse. lilo now can't find /dev/sda to boot XP.
    GRRRRR!!!!

New boot under sata.i root=/dev/hdb3 noinitrd ro nousb
    changes in lilo:
    partition: /dev/hdb
    win: /dev/hdb1
    2.6: /dev/sda1
    2.4: /dev/hdb3

Lilo make new boot and now all ok

But!
    I can load only one kernel without editing, i.e. I need boot 2.4 (now 2.6 active), I must change /etc/fstab befor booting - replace /dev/sda on /dev/hdb

P.S. Another problem now pptp don't wish work under 2.6, I heard rumors that some libs must be recompiled under 2.6 for correct work.

Have a fun, guys

Just Joined!
    I found another solution. In my BIOS I have 4 SATA chipset options Super Micro PDSG4. If I choose SATA, Enhanced, or combined it WILL WORK, ** BUT **** Here's the catcher: the bios will see the HD differently than hda...hdd depending on the bios chipset setting AND the SATA slot. My current config required me to use the IDE floppy which takes up the chipsets prrimary SATA slave. SO NO SATA drives can be plugged into these slots or they are not recognized by the bios. I use Secondary SATA MAS\SlA slots for the real SATA drives. NOTE the bios treats them all as IDE drives, so no sata.i is required.

The trick for me is to install the root linux drive\part on hdc, and keep the HD plugged into the Secondary master slot which is HDC *all the time* no matter what bios setting I select.

Hope this helps.
    John

Just Joined!
    Hi DataWiz, I have the same problem trying to use 2.6.13 kernel with SATA hdd on motherboard with i915 chipset. My problem is that with 2.4 hdd is working very slowly with no DMA. I have a P4/3Ghz and the pc stops all the time - I run KDE and try to open OOWriter - hell it stops and I have to wait .
    A week ago I try 2.6 kernel - all kind of problems: it can not boot. The thing I don't understand is when I boot from cd : test26.s root=/dev/sda2 noinitrd ro
    it boots ok and finds all the devices. But when I try to boot using LILO it gives me that VFS error or tries to mount /dev/sda2 on /mnt - I don't know why.
    My LILO options are correct the globals are set to /sda not /hda, fstab is ok so where is the problem ?
    I tried to change SATA mode in the BIOS - the CD' s gone so I can not boot from it at all.
    Do you think that plugging the SATA as a primary slave will work?

Just Joined!
    'VFS error' in most cases mean that you havn't compile in kernel driver of your fs.
    And once more: if /dev/sda2 (test26.s root=/dev/sda2 noinitrd ro) your root partition - why you mount it on /mnt point?

Just Joined!
    That is exactly what I am saying. I don't know why it tries to mount root partition on /mnt.
    I tried at LILO prompt root=/dev/sda2 and it still try to mount it on /mnt.
    What is the difference between the boot from cd with test26.s kernel and the boot with lilo with the same kernel? I checked rc.d/rc.modules and uncommented all modules I need to run - reiserfs, sk98lin, for the printer and when I boot from the cd everything is ok. Although I am not sure about the net-card.
    Last night I reinstalled Slack with the test26 kernel and I was surprised to see there were no modules installed for 2.6.13, only 2.4.13. funny. then I instlled it with no kernel, kernel head and modules and add them later. now I can configure LILO - it gives me the 99 99 99 error. I checked it all and it seemed ok.
    So now I have a box that can only boot Slack from CD but no internet on it (because no LILO - no windows ).
    I tried all modes for SATA in BIOS and left it "enhanced". Is it ok?
    any Ideas?

Just Joined!
    That is exactly what I am saying. I don't know why it tries to mount root partition on /mnt.
    Ok. Boot with test26.s kernel, remount root partition with 'rw' and check /etc/fstab You must have only one record for /dev/sda2 with '/' in mount point.

What is the difference between the boot from cd with test26.s kernel and the boot with lilo with the same kernel? I checked rc.d/rc.modules and uncommented all modules I need to run - reiserfs...
    Sorry, I forgot about it.
    Driver for file system must be built-in into kernel or you must use initrd to load it on boot. In test26.s kernel most of FS drivers into kernel and you havn't problems with access to partitions.

I tried all modes for SATA in BIOS and left it "enhanced". Is it ok?
    any Ideas?
    I think that mode don't make any effects on boot/no boot of kernel

Just Joined!
    Ok. Boot with test26.s kernel, remount root partition with 'rw' and check /etc/fstab You must have only one record for /dev/sda2 with '/' in mount point.
    In my fstab there is only one line concerning "/" and it is begins with /dev/sda2
    which is correct. When I boot from CD and type test26.s root=/dev/sda2 noinitrd ro, it boots fine but if i try to write this in LILO prompt it tries to mount on /mnt.

in LILO I Have line to use initrd but the last time I booted (before reinstall and 99 99 lilo problem ) it said
    RAMDISK: ran out of compressed data
    VFS cannot open root dev 802 ( that is the correct dev !!!!!)
    ...... correct "root= " boot option
    kernel panic.

What is that suppose to mean? that I am not making initrd right? uffffffff

Just Joined!
    in LILO I Have line to use initrd but the last time I booted (before reinstall and 99 99 lilo problem ) it said
    RAMDISK: ran out of compressed data
    VFS cannot open root dev 802 ( that is the correct dev !!!!!)
    ...... correct "root= " boot option
    kernel panic.
    It's mean that kernel can't find driver for FileSystem.
    You have 2 way: compile built-in ext2 (reiser or whatever you use) in kernel or use initrd (/usr/doc/mkinitrd-1.0.1/README.initrd - very easy way to understand what you need to do)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast