Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi! Im using slack 10.1, and i just cant get ident to work. Need that for some ftp servers. Been trying oident and trying to edit configfiles. Tried netstat to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ident

Hi! Im using slack 10.1, and i just cant get ident to work. Need that for some ftp servers. Been trying oident and trying to edit configfiles. Tried netstat to see if ident listening on port 113, but nothing. Plz help me, thx in advance

Here's a nice clear example of what to do to get oidentd running properly:
    install oidentd from http://ojnk.sourceforge.net/, create /etc/identd.spoof with a list of users allowed to spoof their ident, and ~/.ispoof with their reply (e.g. reply). Finally run '/usr/local/sbin/oidentd -g nobody -N -s -u nobody'. Add this to your startup scripts (e.g. /etc/rc.d/rc.local) when you're done.
    http://www.linuxselfhelp.com/HOWTO/m...beginners.html

Sorry for the last example, I've never used the program before and that was the best I could find, however after trying it out I can now tell you what you need to do.
    I created a file called /etc/oidentd.conf and in that I added the default permissions for myself:
    user krendoshazin {
    default {
    allow spoof
    allow spoof_all
    allow random
    allow hide
    }
    from 127.0.0.1 {
    allow spoof_privport
    }
    }
    after this I then created a home directory file of the same name, ~/.oidentd.conf (notice it's hidden), showing what ident I want to use
    global {
    reply "Nightmare"
    }
    After this I started oidentd with '/usr/local/sbin/oidentd -g nobody -u nobody' and then added the rule to my firewall to allow connections to port 113, because I don't want people to be able to randomly scan me and find the port open I only allowed it for the server I chat at, anyone else will find the port stealthed.
    Oh and don't forget to add '/usr/local/sbin/oidentd -g nobody -u nobody' to your startup script, /etc/rc.d/rc.local will do the trick nicely.
    And that was that, hope that helps.

Linux Enthusiast
    pidentd-3.0.18-i486-1

can't you just install this package which comes with slack?

Quote Originally Posted by kern
    pidentd-3.0.18-i486-1

can't you just install this package which comes with slack?
    If you just stick with default software, how are you ever going to know what's better, granted it probably gets the job done and slackware always includes good software that gets the job done, but that's really besides the point. Don't be afraid to try new things, what comes with a distro is not absolute by any means, and trying new things should be a pleasure, not a chore.

Linux Enthusiast
    true

when its something as menial as ident I'm not really that worried though

plus its package based nature and it being in the distro makes it easier to upgrade, and easier to maintain, I can think of many more fun things to try than that

I do however believe in trying things that dont come with your distro, that way you can ask them to be included in future haha

but honestly, I do use a lot of non distro included software, my '/opt/ is brimming I tell you