Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I've downloaded zipslack and will copy them over to an old laptop (pentium 1, with 16MB) of RAM, I would like to have zipslack installed on this laptop. Does ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Zipslack installation

Hi,

I've downloaded zipslack and will copy them over to an old laptop (pentium 1, with 16MB) of RAM, I would like to have zipslack installed on this laptop. Does anyone know how to install zipslack ?

thanks

Linux Enthusiast
    isn't there a readme?

you just unzip it

Linux User
    To install ZipSlack, all you need to do is unzip the file ZIPSLACK.ZIP on the DOS partition where you want Linux installed. To do this, you'll need an unzip utility. If you don't already have an unzipper such as PKZIP for DOS or Windows, http://www.pkware.com is a great place to get one.

Boot Windows 95 and start your unzip utility1. If you are installing to a Zip disk, make sure it is formatted and in the drive. Open the file called ZIPSLACK.ZIP from within your unzip utility. Choose the Extract Files option and make sure that it is set to extract all of the files in the archive. When the program asks you to select a destination to save the extracted files to, give it the drive letter of the disk you are installing to followed by a backslash. For example, if you are installing to D drive, tell the unzip program to extract to D:\. The unzip program should extract the files in the archive and save them to the disk. It will create a \LINUX subdirectory on the disk.

It is very important to extract ZipSlack to the top level directory of whatever drive you decide to install it to.

If you have only 4 MB of RAM, you will also need to unzip FOURMEG.ZIP to the directory that you unzipped ZIPSLACK.ZIP. Follow the same process as above to unzip this file.

You're finished! That's it. You now have a bootable Linux installation ready to go. Take a look at the Booting page for information about how to boot ZipSlack.
    You must use a 32-bit unzip utility. One that is capable of recognizing long file names. The DOS version of PKUNZIP will not work.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Winzip should work ok, right ?

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by 20t40
    Winzip should work ok, right ?
    Yup.

Just Joined!
    Thanks Slip, will give it a try over the weekend

Just Joined!
    I need a bit more help here...
    I got to a point where it said

Uncompressing Linux...

ran out of input data

System halted

What does it mean by 'ran out of input data' ? I've followed all the steps in the readme.