Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have just compiled 2.6.11 kernel. Everything is good, excepting one thing. During loading progress i can't see anything in console. Depending on my luck i type username and password ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Compiling 2.6.11 kernel

I have just compiled 2.6.11 kernel. Everything is good, excepting one thing. During loading progress i can't see anything in console. Depending on my luck i type username and password when i feel it is loaded, and then i start X server - startx.

After the X server has loaded, can you see stuff?
    And can you post some Hardware specs?

Just Joined!
    after loading X - i see KDE loading. and it forks fine further. hardware specs ? you mean my laptop's hardware complectation ?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

bootloader

I think it is a matter of bootloader options. What bootloader do you have. If grub don't you have quiet option on. Do you use initrd.img?.

Just Joined!
    No, i'm using Lilo. and i 100% sure that it is not a bootloader problem. because i've tried to compile kernel 2 times and have edited bootloader's config file by myself. On the first compile attempt i forgot to add reiserfs file system to supported file systems, and i had kernel panic, but i could see console text on loading process.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonyk
    after loading X - i see KDE loading. and it forks fine further. hardware specs ? you mean my laptop's hardware complectation ?
    hardware specifications

Just Joined!
    it is Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo L7300 laptop with Intel Celeron M350, COMBO DVD/CD-RW,40 GB HDD, Unichrome Pro graphics up to 64mb shared memory, 256mb DDR... you can see more here - http://www.fujitsu-siemens.com/Resou...1337056781.pdf . i think the problem is connected with graphic adapter.

Just Joined!
    i think i have solved this problem. it was related with frame buffers. but now i have another one - my compiled does not want to load, after selecting it in lilo, i get error: "EBDA is big: kernel setup stack overlaps lilo second stage"

Linux Newbie
    yeah, you will get that useless blackscreen up when you compile framebuffer support in a resolution / chipset that can't accomodate it. but it 's all working under that mask, you just gotta get the login timing all set...and then just tell it to rc.4 on startup and you won't have to worry aobut that!!!

as for the second issue, cant' say i've ever seen that one before.
    Chicks dig giant mechanized war machines

Just Joined!
    you must recompile the kernel I had to and it fixed the problem just find it seems that boot was overlapping lilo boot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast