Find the answer to your Linux question:
Last night i was downloading somethings in azerus when my comp froze up. i couldnt click anything but the downloads kept going and the mouse would move. so i restarted ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Inernet randomly down? please help

Last night i was downloading somethings in azerus when my comp froze up. i couldnt click anything but the downloads kept going and the mouse would move. so i restarted and when i did i had no internet connection. it said something like lo looping to 127.0.0.0. now when i switch over to my xp partition everything works fine but not in slackware. im using slack 10.1 with dropline gnome.

anyone know what this might be and how to fix it?

Banned
    What were you downloading? It could have been a trojan or something (There *are* crackers against linux, you know). Is your internet connected by wireless or is it wired? Is there any more information that you wish to present?

Just Joined!
    i was downloading a couple things. the Neon genesis series. and a full CD. when i chose my torrent i made sure it was one with a buncha of people becasue they have like 5 mb files thats suppose to be a whole cd with only 1 seeder and i always avoid those. anyway im on wired cable. with a linksys router. intergrated 10/100 Ethernet in my mobo asus is7-e. if theres anything else you need just ask.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Banned
    If I were you, I'd get rid of anything related to what you were downloading and anything related to azuerus (libraries, dependencies). Then reset all your network configurations. After all that, you should be able to reconfigure your internet and reinstall your BitTorrent Client. That *should* get you back online (unless there is an unknown source to your problem).

Just Joined!
    so its definatly the download's fault?

i was thinking i just messed something up when i manually reset.

Banned
    I can't tell for sure without actually being there but it might help your problem. Try to reset all your internet related configurations and then configure everything as it used to be.

Just Joined!
    im not exactly sure how to do that (im still a newb to linux) but here this might help.

i did ifconfig -a and got this

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:50:8D:53:FF:91
    BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
    Interrupt:11 Base address:0xc000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:60 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:60 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:3384 (3.3 Kb) TX bytes:3384 (3.3 Kb)

in my net setup it says trying to connect to lo local loopback. however before when it was working it said eth0 i belive. so how do i change it back from lo to eth0?

Banned
    When your internet worked before, did you manually configure your network with bash, or with a frontend that came with your desktop (gnome, kde, maybe even X)? If you did it through your desktop, I would try to reconfigure your settings through that program. That way your distribution doesn't get cranky. It'll also be easier to do than through bash. If you need to do it through bash, try...

Code:
    $ man ifconfig
    ...that should help you with manual network configuration. I'll take a look at it too. My network is wireless at the moment, so its a little different.

Also troubleshoot your physical network. Try switching new cables and ports in your switch/router. Turn off all network-related hardware and then it all back on after about 30-60 seconds.

Just Joined!
    eth0 doesnt get an IP. Do you have just one network card? If you have just one then eth0 is it, and it isnt getting an IP. If you have 2 nic's, and ifconfig -a didn't see the second one, then you have a hardware issue which probably isn't the case since it works in XP. Since you have a router, I assume you are using dhcp. Do this.

This is assuming that you only have the one network card.

type "which dhcpcd" and "which ifconig" at a cmd prompt
    type one then the other ofcourse, seperatly.
    The outcome should be either /usr/sbin/dhcpcd or just /sbin/dhcpcd.
    Assuming it is the first one, type this

pico /etc/rc.d/rc.local

type this inside this file

/usr/sbin/ifconfig eth0 up
    /usr/sbin/dhcpcd eth0

hit ctrl x and save. What this does is manually sets your card in the "up" position and then starts the shcp daemon on that card, thus allowing it to obtain an IP from your router/dhcp server.

Next type

pico /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf

inside make sure that eth0 looks like this

# Config information for eth0:
    IPADDR[0]=""
    NETMASK[0]=""
    USE_DHCP[0]="yes"
    DHCP_HOSTNAME[0]=""

ctrl x save and reboot.