Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Well, yes, I am a Linux noob, but I have used it before, never dual-booted though. I'm wondering, how should I go about partitioning my drive? I have a 150GB ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Windows + Slackware Dual Boot

Well, yes, I am a Linux noob, but I have used it before, never dual-booted though. I'm wondering, how should I go about partitioning my drive? I have a 150GB HDD and I've used 36.4GB of it. I'm hoping to put Linux on a 56GB virtual HDD and keep Windows XP on my current HDD. Can somebody write or direct me to a VERY detailed tutorial, starting from downloading slackware to the finishment of the installation? Thanks in advance. If you could, add me on MSN at cpp.eXploit@gmail.com and we'll talk. Once again, thank you, ALOT.

Linux Newbie
    Well there is a detailed tutorial on getting Slackware and installing on www.slackware.com . You can dual boot with LILO which is the default boot loader in Slackware or you can alternativly use XP's NTLDR. I would suggest you use LILO, because it is more flexible.

Just Joined!
    Do you think you can direct me to the URL? I've been up for about 54 hours because I have insomnia and I'm very lost at the moment. Once again, thanks in advance.

Linux User
    I think you'll find here eveything that you want http://www.slackbook.org/#book . There's also a dual booting section.
    Linux registered user #358842
    Human knowledge belongs to the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Goran
    Well there is a detailed tutorial on getting Slackware and installing on www.slackware.com . You can dual boot with LILO which is the default boot loader in Slackware or you can alternativly use XP's NTLDR. I would suggest you use LILO, because it is more flexible.
    plus getting the ntldr to work with windows and linux is a detailed pain my behind using lilo was much easier.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Just Joined!
    Where can I get the LILO boot loader? I was reading up on it and such, and I have the .rar of it but I don't know how to go about installing it. Also, it said it came with Slackware? I downloaded slackware and I'm going to burn it as an iso as soon as I get more information about slackware. Is it user-friendly? Should I use it as a starter linux distrobution? Please help me.

LILO comes with Slackware and the install will detect Windows if it is installed and add it to the boot menu.

As for it being a starter distro...you will find it has a much higher learning curve that some other distros but if you are willing and want to learn Linux, Slackware is a good bet.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Just Joined!
    Do I just burn the two as ISOs then put in disc one and follow the installation? Or do I have to partition my HDD before that? If so, how would I go about that?

As long as you have some free, unpartitioned space, on your hard-disk that should be fine. Once you are into the slackware insallation you can setup the partions you need there.

If you currently have no unpartitioned space then you have 2 choices:

- If you can delete one of the partitions you have (to put Slackware there), then you can do all of this in the Slackware installation. Please note that deleting a partition will mean you loose absolutely ALL of the data on it.
    - If you need to resize a current 'windows partition' I would recommend you do this before starting the Slackware installation (Partition Magic is a great utility for this)

As for boot loader, personally I prefer GRUB. it's a question of personal preference. You would have to install GRUB after you have completed the Slackware installation
    Ubuntu Jaunty :: Arch Linux (current) :: Acer Aspire 1692WMLi

Just Joined!
    As for LILO....It comes with Slackware, right?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast