Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
and this is also taking for granted that you have found your soundcard / chipset in the ALSA matrix on the website? (just want to voice out all the bases ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

and this is also taking for granted that you have found your soundcard / chipset in the ALSA matrix on the website? (just want to voice out all the bases here)
    Chicks dig giant mechanized war machines

Just Joined!

0_o I'm not alone?!

I installed slackware using the bare.i kernel v. 2.4.29. Sound worked fine. Alsaconf showed (and shows every time I reinstall) my sound card, alsamixer works fine, and I was able to listen to music. Whenever I do anything to the kernel, including compile it using the bare.i .config file, my sound card goes away. Alsaconf can no longer find any sound card, and I get the same 'no mixer device found' and other errors. If I restore the old kernel, it stays gone.

The card is listed as alsa compatable (99% sure, Intel8x0 card, but what the x is... 0_o), and that card family is turned on as a module for kernel compilation.

Yes... this was a completely worthless post, unless somewhere in my ramblings a clue that reveals something is found. ::Cowers in fear of being beaten for being a newbie to any real Linux use.::

Linux Newbie
    know what i found to be the culprit in almost every problem w/ alsa & sound disappearing? ACPI!!!!!

try recompiliing w/o ACPI and see what happens...

(FWIW, you can get similar power saving out of the APM stuff, so you can atleast turn off your monitor & HDDs)
    Chicks dig giant mechanized war machines

Just Joined!

0_o I win?

Sonyk, have you tried reinstalling/updating your ALSA driver? I was having the same problem until last night. I downloaded and reinstalled alsa-lib-1.0.8-i486-1.tgz and alsa-driver-1.0.8_2.4.29-i486-1.tgz from ftp.slackware.com. Alsaconf and such all work fine now, and I have sound (The file is there... at least according to slapt-get).

I honestly think you would only need the driver... I was going to reinstall the alsa-oss and alsa-utils as well, but then my college's internet abilities died until just now. I'm not sure on the likelyhood of a slackware package for 2.6.11.8, but I'd like to think compiling it from source would work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2